Advice on possible over-dying.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatatonicGrace

Reaction score
Hi There,

I have extremely long, well conditioned naturally dark blonde/mousey brown hair. I recently (8 weeks ago or more) dyed it with Nicky Clarke's Chilli Red colour, and seem to be having real problems getting rid of it. The box said approx 21 washes to get rid of it, and I have never experienced this problem with other brands, but it just won't shift! Don't get me wrong, I love the colour, but my hair grows at such a rate of knots that I would have to redo it every 3-4 weeks to keep it a constant tone.

I am wondering if I would be able to dye over it with a permanent dark blonde colour (as close to my natural colour as possible). I am loath to go into a salon as I do not want to end up with my hair being stripped, and home dying has always been fine for me. I have recently seen that Schwartzkopft have introduced a permanent 'Blonde Chocolate' colour with a lightener for dark hair. The colour looks fairly close to my natural - if not a bit lighter - and I'm wondering if it will do the job?

I am 24 years old and have never had my hair properly 'cut' & really don't want to end up with it damaged beyond repair. I have tried using Head & Shoulders and Johnsons Baby Shampoo, but I really can't see they are having much of an effect when it comes to fading the colour out. As I am also looking for a new job, I really don't want to end up attending interviews with dark blonde roots & faded red length. :rolleyes:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi, most of the people on here are professional Hair or Nail techs ,
and have been trained to use only professional products / colours or professional nail products
bought from a professional wholesalers or company who make them for the professional industry

So if you are asking advice about a supermarket box colour that you are going to do at home , I would say look on the box and it should have an advise helpine number on it ,

you would be better off giving them a ring as they will know a lot more about using thier own make of box colours than we do ,

PS the only thing I can advise before any colour
is to do a skin test first , hth :hug: x minky

in me pre hairdrssing experience when i used home kits, even the semi permanant ones had more hold than they [robably shud have, as for tryin to recolour it, assuming the dye has for some reason been permanant, i wudnt advise using a product that is goin to lighten it in any way or u may end up wit a very wishy washy orangy colour. . i hope u manage to work sumthing out, x

Latest posts

Back