Advice on pre pigmenting please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soozgribb

Reaction score
Hey. I had a new client in for a colour and extension consult yesterday. She currently is a level 4 all over with level 9 slices through the front. The slices range in tone.... some a 9/3...some a little cooler. I use wella. After deciding what we are going to do with the extensions, I am now going to change her blonde slices to a 55/65, as this is the colour that matches one of the extension colours we are going to use. I know I need to pre pig, and I have always used mousses, but want to try mix tones for this. Not sure wether to add mix tone to the tint or to apply to hair before with water. Whats the best method? Keeping in mind I dont want to make the target colour more vibrant than it already is. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also want to ask your thoughts on wether to use the red mixtone or would I get a closer colour match using the violet/red? Sorry my mind is doing overtime.... sometimes I over think things ha!

Hmmm I dunno if I would even pre-pig :/ u could use a 7red mouse
The point of the mixtone (not wella trained) is to add extra tone rather than depth, so not like a primer for a wall rather a intensifier (from what I gather) a 55/65 has enough tone in it to hold itself maybe add extra /65 but I can only see that going brighter.

Are u worried it will wash out = pre pig with a 7red

Are u worried it will be too bright = add some 5.0

Are u worried it will be too light = add some 44/65 or equivalent

That's what I would do.. I have no idea about the mix tones but from what I read this is what I get:)

Thanks for replying. Yeah my thinking was if I pre pigd then it wouldnt fade out quickly and I would get a "true" colour, but if I do pre pig with diluted mixtone then I risk having a target colour thats brighter than I want it. I'm not that experienced with piggin with mixtones so hopefully someone can advise. Thanks

Thanks for replying. Yeah my thinking was if I pre pigd then it wouldnt fade out quickly and I would get a "true" colour, but if I do pre pig with diluted mixtone then I risk having a target colour thats brighter than I want it. I'm not that experienced with piggin with mixtones so hopefully someone can advise. Thanks

If u pre pigged with a 7 red it will wash out faded u just need that mahogany tone there maybe use a 7 mahogany if wella have one
Then wen you tone with the 55/65 it will be vibrant yet no brighter than the 5 level.. I would normally use a 6 level filler (1 level difference) but I think u will benefit from the 7 level more.. U may loose the 55/65 in the rest of the hair

Spoke to wella helpline and they recommend pre pigging with 0/43 mixtone. Can anyone tell me why the 0/43 and not the 0/45?

Bump.

Spoke to wella helpline and they recommend pre pigging with 0/43 mixtone. Can anyone tell me why the 0/43 and not the 0/45?

At a guess, Due to level 6 underlying pigment is orange/yellow. And prepig with one shade lighter x

At a guess, Due to level 6 underlying pigment is orange/yellow. And prepig with one shade lighter x

Your right!

Where is the level 6 coming from? Sorry if i am being really dim here!

Sorry scrap that lol.....just realised you were referring to the mixtone! Slow morning. Thanks

By level 6 she means a base 6 ... so if someone had virgin hair of a base 6 the underlying pigment would be orange . Hence the need for . /43 rather then 45 to replace the pigment it is missing .x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

By level 6 she means a base 6 ... so if someone had virgin hair of a base 6 the underlying pigment would be orange . Hence the need for . /43 rather then 45 to replace the pigment it is missing .x

Yeah I know all that... asked the question then understood after I asked. As I said above slow morning.

When I was taught about pre pigmenting I was taught to pre pigment for the level I was using not the level above so thats where the confusion came in. Glad I asked because now ive learned something new. Thanks

Ahh sorry for someone reason it sounded like u thought she meant the tone number 6 ... think i need to go back to bed !

Latest posts

Back