advice on sets and perms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coralchild

Reaction score
hi peeps
well im going back into hairdressing. i trained as a colourist in top company but want to do all things and be an all rounder which ive worked on on my cuts up to grad bob over a yr now. absent from a salon enviroment for few yrs.short funky cuts scare me and men!! and main thing perms and sets aghhh!!im touching off perms at the mo in course one night a week really need to get confidence bak starting job in few weeks any advice on sets and what not to do!!! :idea:pretty please!

thanks for all the advice cheersx

no one has put anything cos we dont perm at set anymore!!!!! I do about 4/5 perms a year and never set! we dont even have a hood dryer in the salon! work more on your cuts! :wink2:
thanks for all the advice cheersx

yee ha a reply haha thanks a mill ye its a mix of old and young clientele im sure there will be plenty of sets aghhh!!!! agh sure ill learn the hard way i guess

Hiya,
well im a mobile hairdresser but in my last salon job I had a few old ladies who had sets every week & I also did quite a few perms on the older ladies 2. Well first of all with the sets I would have almost always used the brick-wind technique, i always applied mousse first or you can use setting lotion but i always used mousse. For the older ladies with short hair i would use the red & blue velcro rollers, if you follow the brick-wind technique on short haired ladies you shouldnt go wrong as this is the best technique to avoid any gaps etc, then place a hair net over the rollers & place her under a hooded dryer, when the hair is dry then let the hair cool down & remove the rollers, then brush the set with a wide toothed brush or just run your fingers through it. As for the perms i have only ever done these on the older ladies too-its quite hard to explain the perming on this posting but if you could get hold of the Level 2 hairdressing book by Leo Palladino(fourth edition) there is a great section in that book about perming, it shows pictures of winding techiques etc which i think you'd find very helpful. I also subscribe to a website called myhairdressers.com - i think its GREAT, its packed with loads of training videos & information, it might be worth looking into that too-hope this helps!:)

hi thanks a mill great advice!!i have nvq3 book alright but ill just have to get other one so ta a mill even the mention of perm and i cringe!!hairdresser .com it is thanks again:)

Latest posts

Back