Advice on shades to create this vintage gold look

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm fairly new out of college and this is the first time I have been asked to create this particular shade by a client, she has shown me one of the pictures below as her colour inspiration. Most people seem to ask me for very light blonde shades rather than what I think I'd like to call 'sophisticated vintage gold', and I don't want to mess it up.
Can I have some ideas from more experienced colourists what shades I might use to get a close match on this particular client? Or any approaches that might be useful?
I'm familiar with both Goldwell and Wella, but am happy to recieve suggestions from those who use other brands as I should be able to match these against goldwell/wella's colour ranges.
I would put her at a natural level 4/5, her hair is fine so needs handling with care when lightening this many levels but takes colour well. I think this nice dark blonde colour should be quite obtainable. I believe the actress herself is about the same level.
The client has 4 inches of roots which are naturally very ashy but she has previously coloured ends from box dyes with a lot of red tones where the colour has faded which I think may present a problem to achieving eveness all over.
My inclination was using foils close to the root rather than balayage and to pre-lighten to the desired level and then tone using demi-permanent colour to achieve shade variation.
I'm seeing a level 8 gold tone and a level 9 tone, more of a beige, or is it more of a pearl tone? There also seem to be darker tones to this colour and I'm wondering whether I should interweave with the clients natural colour or lift the hair to a level 7. As the client is so dark her hair is going to show a lot of warmth and brassiness, particularly the previously coloured hair, so I'm tempted to stick to natural ash and pearl tones to achieve this natural gold look.
My client is also cool and fair toned like the actress, and has light eyes, so I think anything too warm will look very unnatural, a cooler result is preferable.

Colours to use to achieve this and/or application techniques from more experienced stylists would be much appreciated!

[G

ALLERY=
179397-67e35893361dc9d99c5702ae62b9f65c.jpg
media, 6398
179396-41c499348b10de72256d6c864af2b002.jpg
2]Lily-James by lichfie
179395-f70bebda0c4961fa12d6caee337d5191.jpg
ldbeauty posted Jun 16, 2015 at 1:08 AM[/GALLERY]

1/3 8G+2/3 9G+30vol. =lv.6 and lower for natural hair
about 6 foils spaced widely with a wider random weave....not fine woven close together but like 1/2-1/4" weave @4-5 woven sections to be bleached/foil spaced a good 1.5-2" apart/foil with bleach and 20vol/30vol depending on how dark roots are.

Latest posts

Back