Advice on starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissi83

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

I'm after a bit of advice as to what to do next. I've recently qualified in gel polish, manicure and pedicure and have started an eyelash extension course.

The only people I have done nails for are friends and family for my coursework and I haven't taken any payment. I haven't got insurance yet or registered as self employed. I currently work full time in a retail (non beauty) environment.

I plan on being home based working around my current job. I have a spare room that will become my nail room.

Do I need to register as self employed now for tax or can I buy all the things/ furniture I need now so when I do start working I can start with a clean sheet so to speak?

Hope that makes sense!

TIA X

Could you go mobile?

I could but would be more Costs wouldn’t it for car insurance etc. I’m thinking home for now with the possibility of mobile once I’m more confident and have built up a client base.

With using a room in your home you just need to make sure if renting you have landlord permission and council permission and if you own your property you need mortgage company permission. Also it will effect your home insurance etc so you'll need to get that sorted :)

I feel like going mobile is a lot easier than being at home. banner penguin is right, if a client hurts themselves in your home they can sue you.

Latest posts

Back