Advice on very ridged nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sass

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a client who came to me for my Nail Biters program approx 10 weeks ago. It has been very successful up until about 2 weeks ago :(

I use either Gelish or more recently Megamix - She has been a biter all her life and her nails have very pronounced vertical ridges. Even after this length of time her nails are growing but the ridges are still coming with the new growth.

This last 2 applications just haven't stayed on. They last approx 3 -4 days, then shed either in 1 layer or flake. She has never been a picker and as soon as the manicure breaks down she is on the phone or pops in to show me. There is no damage to her nails to indicate any trauma e.g. picking etc.,

A search on SG for 'ridged nails' hasn't led me to an answer apart from trying a hard gel layer as a base then continuing with the gel polish.

Has anyone else come across this with nail biters and have you found a solution that is successful??

Thanks Geeks :)

picture.php

Is this lady on any medication..? I know we can't go diagnosing but I usually find that my ladies who have these vertical ridges have Thyroid problems & are on Thyroxin... Knowing this I just alter my Bio Sculpture Gels to compensate their needs.
Is your lady using her cuticle oil? If not get her to use that & hopefully putting moisture back into the nails will stop the gels lifting as the nails are too dry... (Nails that are too dry will have gels lifting. Always happens more when ladies are on crash diets too as they aren't drinking enough !)

Is this lady on any medication..? I know we can't go diagnosing but I usually find that my ladies who have these vertical ridges have Thyroid problems & are on Thyroxin... Knowing this I just alter my Bio Sculpture Gels to compensate their needs.
Is your lady using her cuticle oil? If not get her to use that & hopefully putting moisture back into the nails will stop the gels lifting as the nails are too dry... (Nails that are too dry will have gels lifting. Always happens more when ladies are on crash diets too as they aren't drinking enough !)

Thanks for replying. My client is not on any medication and she is using her cuticle oil twice daily. Not on any diets either. :)

I am confused as to why her Gelish stayed on perfectly for the first few months and now I can't keep any uv gel polish on her. Pulling my hair out, reading Doug's book, Marian's book..... :irked:

Thanks again :hug:

Bumping back up hoping for more advice :biggrin:

I have one nail which grown with a deep ridge from under the cuticle to the free edge.

When I was very young (around 11) I scraped my nail plate away from the bed and under the cuticle.. It took months to stop hurting and looking like it was beginning to repair, I must have damaged a place in the matrix area as since then my nail has always been weaker than my already thin nails, the ridged area used to peel and rip up to right under the cuticle.
Its been over 30yrs and the ridge is still there.

My nail now grows totally flat and nothing stays on it

So matrix damage is one cause for single or odd ridges

I have one nail which grown with a deep ridge from under the cuticle to the free edge.

When I was very young (around 11) I scraped my nail plate away from the bed and under the cuticle.. It took months to stop hurting and looking like it was beginning to repair, I must have damaged a place in the matrix area as since then my nail has always been weaker than my already thin nails, the ridged area used to peel and rip up to right under the cuticle.
Its been over 30yrs and the ridge is still there.

My nail now grows totally flat and nothing stays on it

So matrix damage is one cause for single or odd ridges

Hi Victoria, Thanks for the reply...:biggrin:

Yeah, fully understand matrix damage causing the odd ridge or 2, but this lady's nails are all ridged, thumbs being the worst! Not just 1 or 2 ridges per nail either..they are like corrugated nails.

Without the gel polish she goes back to biting - with the coating she genuinely leaves them alone and they grow, albeit with the ridges. I now believe her regular diet is too blame. It's not a balanced diet and never has been (she is fussy, LOL).

Will try a hard gel overlay then gel polish and see if I can keep her on track. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back