Advice please on renting out a table

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire.

Reaction score
Good morning,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I have a small salon and I’m looking to rent out my nail table a few days a week. I currently use this table myself to offer shellac nails but I have decided that I need some extra help on the days that the salon is closed and that I am not working.

I offer all beauty treatments Tuesday-Saturday and would be looking to rent the chair out on Sundays, Mondays and possibly Tuesdays.

I would like some advice as to where I stand legally with this. I was thinking she could use all my products and tools as it’s already there to use and I would charge a daily rental fee.

Would it be better for her to bring her own equipment? I mean if she’s self employed and uses my equipment and for example a client had a reaction, would I then be protected by my own insurance or would it be my fault as she’s using my products?

I have shellac on my price list as I already offer it. Would it be advised for her to make her own leaflets ? I feel this would be a waste of time as the price is already on my leaflets.

I feel a bit confused as basically she is using a manicure desk which I will be using on the days she is not in.

Can anyone recommend a legally binding contract for this?

Thank you In advance.
Claire

Thank you. Where can I get a legally binding document made up?

I have a small salon and I’m looking to rent out my nail table a few days a week. I
I have shellac on my price list as I already offer it. Would it be advised for her to make her own leaflets ? I feel this would be a waste of time as the price is already on my leaflets.

Unfortunately, it’s really not that simple.

If you rent out your nail table, you are just the landlady and the other person is running an independent business to yours. She will need to produce her own price list.

If they want to offer Shellac nails and undercut your prices, you can’t stop her.
If your clients choose to use her services, you can’t do anything about it.
If clients complain about the quality of her work, you cannot get involved and demand she re-does them for free.
Any attempt to control how this person runs their business and HMRC can intervene and fine you plus order you to pay back minimum wage, holiday pay, maternity pay etc. for the entire period she was working there.

Small businesses are much easier to prosecute than large corporations so it’s an easy win for them.

If you want to have any control over pricing, quality of service etc. you have to employ them with all the associated costs.

You might think that by writing up a contract where they agree not to undercut your prices will solve the problem but all it does is provide written evidence that you are attempting to control how she runs her business.

If you can’t afford to employ anyone, maybe think about renting out the space to someone who offers a different service to you and won’t be competing for your clients? Lashes/tanning etc.

Try having a look on https://www.nhf.info/home/ for contracts and info. I am looking to rent out a beauty chair and a hairdressing chair but have no idea where to advertise. Would you know of anywhere thanks x

Latest posts

Back