Advice regarding table I'm renting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppy

Reaction score
im renting a table in a new shop on a part time basis.

Ive given my price lists which are in line with the area, but the shop now wants me to reduce them further. They have also set an opening 25% discount of all treatments to start with, and now I see they are advertising some treatments at half price!

The rent is on the high side to start with so i cant see me making any profit, but I know the reply will be the offers are to get customers in as the shop is new etc.

I feel like pulling out already. Do i stick it out?? Im a bit annoyed that my prices are being cut without my say so.

if you rent a table that implies your self employed. therfore your responsible for your prices. if she is dictating offers etc i suspect hmrc will see you as an employee.

another example of salon owner trying to avoid tax by calling you self employed.

you and her stand to land a hefty tax bill if you get caught.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Oh dear, that's not a good sign.

I made enquiries about renting from a new local salon before I got my room, they wanted a ridiculously high rent and then said that they would 'need' me to reduce my prices, said they were going to be the cheapest and busiest in the area. I couldn't have got out of there quick enough!!! Have walked past there often since and never once seen a customer in there, even though they are indeed the cheapest.

I would be thinking very seriously about how this arrangement will work.

Good luck

ssuk is right, you are self employed therefore dictate your own prices. Sounds to me like you need to reconsider whether its a good working arrangement for you, maybe look to see what other rooms are available to rent?

I would suggest speaking to hmrc to find your legal position.

Our accountant (chartered) is also qualified in employemnt and contract law. I can pm you her details?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to make it clear to the Salon Owner that as you are self employed, you dictate your prices.

Therefore, if she wants to advertise 25% or 50% off, she will have to pay the shortfall.

I'm guessing that you have no written contact with this arrangement?

If you intend to stay working there, you need to get some legal advice and have a contract drawn up for HER to sign. Don't let her dictate how you should run your business.

If you don't act now, I can only see the relationship between you deteriorating.

Latest posts

Back