After removal, I can never remove the last residue of Shellac/gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
After doing soak off for Shellac or Bio-Gel I always seem to have little bits of gel still on the nail plate.

For Shellac, I wrap for 10 mins and scrape with orange stick, then wipe over with acetone

For gel, I buff top coat, then soak for 15mins and scrape with orange stick, then wipe over with bio-gel remover.

I don't want to buff the nail plate but when I apply the product you can see little lumps and bumps from where the residue is... Looks so unprofessional :sad:

Any suggestions? I often use heat from the UV light to help speed up thje removal process

You shouldn't have any residue with Shellac (it's different with gels though and you might need to give the nails a quick buff to remove any bits of gel left on the nail plate)

It's very important that you apply your Shellac base thin for this reason. If it's too thick, it will take longer to remove and you may be left with some base coat on the nail, so remember, nice and thin and you'll find it will come off beautifully.

Press the nail first and twist from side to side and pull off your wrap and you should find most of the Shellac will come clean off this way, you can flake off any little bits with your orange wood stick.

HTHs

When you say that you scrape with an orange stick, make sure that it is just a gentle push rather than scraping the nail. Some of the bits that you see could be little bits of nail if you are being too rough.

I find that 10 mins with dsolve usually shifts all of the Shellac quite easily, but on the odd occasion when it doesn't, I get some more dsolve on a plastic backed pad and give the nail a quick rub, any remaining bits come straight off.

You may not be getting a good application of acetone to the nail plate if your wraps aren't nice and snug. Could that be it?

Also, I've had to remove another tech's Shellac application and I could see it was a bit thick. This particular client likes her Shellac thicker. I used the wraps but I also applied a piece of cotton soaked in acetone along with the remover wraps for added soaking power. The Shellac slid right off in 10 minutes.

You shouldn't have any residue with Shellac (it's different with gels though and you might need to give the nails a quick buff to remove any bits of gel left on the nail plate)

It's very important that you apply your Shellac base thin for this reason. If it's too thick, it will take longer to remove and you may be left with some base coat on the nail, so remember, nice and thin and you'll find it will come off beautifully.

Press the nail first and twist from side to side and pull off your wrap and you should find most of the Shellac will come clean off this way, you can flake off any little bits with your orange wood stick.

HTHs

Hmmmm I really think I need to get my coats of Shellac at the right thickness/thinness... Have just started applying slightly thicker due to french chipping problems but maybe my base coat is too thick...

Practice makes perfect I guess!

Thank you for all the tips and will keep them all in mind...

Latest posts

Back