Agent for planning permission?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkfairy

Reaction score
Afternoon geeks,
I've been working from my home salon (my spare room) for a year now and really need more space so I'm hoping to convert my detached garage.
I spoke to the local planning department and building control today and after several very unhelpful people it was established that I will need to apply for planning permission.
For those of you that have had to apply for similar reasons, did you appoint an agent to act on your behalf or is it straightforward enough to do yourself?
Any advice appreciated x

I am not sure how different it is in NI but over here it is quite straightforward, my husband and I buy properties up to improve, extend or demolish and re-build so I have had dealings with various councils and building control officers. If it is really just straightforward without changing the outward appearance other than maybe replacing the garage door with a proper front door, I dont see that it would be very difficult at all. Planning is usually only interested on the visual impact of your proposed development. Mainly it needs to fit in with existing properties in your area and if you go for plannig it gives your neighbors a chance to complain if they are not happy with what you are proposing. We find it is alsways easier to invite them over for a cuppa or a glass of wine, tell them what you wish to do, show them the plans, explain how it may or may not affect them. Some would worry about extra cars using the road, more cars parking in undesignated areas and so on. Once you have set their minds at ease, tell them you are about to send the application in and you should be ok with the neighbors anyway.
Building Control is there to make sure that the work you are having carried out complies with health and safety issues and all the current building regulations required by law, the materials are strong or robust enough for the application they are being used in and so on, mainly again for issues like electric and gas work, plumbing, foundations, insulation, strong enough roof timbers etc. If you are not changing any of the main structure they should be easy to deal with as well.

An agent does all the paperwork for you and deals with all communication from the respective council offices but they are usually worth every penny when you are totally gutting a place, replacing a roof, need to be dealing with structural engineers, architects etc. and drastically changing the original structure.

In my experience I would probably go it alone but if an agent is not that expensive and you cant afford the time to spend on the planning process then hire one. It would be very easy money for the agent though.
hth

Yes that is very helpful, thank you.

My OH has just grumped at me for ringing the planning department, as obviously it will cost extra and he reckons no one would ever know what we changed anyway. However I want to do everything by the book and be secure in the knowledge that I can happily and safely work and no one can ever come and take it all away from me!

Did all of you who have converted garages or outhouses get permission and if not how did you get round it? x

Usually changing a garage to living quarters for teenagers or into a games room would normally not need planning, You might need building regs though which is still £288 on mainland UK If your neighbors dont bother too much and you feel they wont complain about extra traffic, children being knocked over by clients, parking issues etc. ( even the silliest little thing) then I would say you might be ok just going for it. BUT because neighbors can be very fickle and the council can insist you demolish works carried out without permissions I would suggest you get a planning officer to come out on a site visit. Some councils do a planning surgery first thing in the mornings, alas some dont. Ask what the options are to discuss what your posibilities are. tbh I don't feel you would need planning but if they are going to be pedantic they might insist. Have a site visit,explain what you are hoping to do, and see what they advise. Many people make the mistake of trying to sneak the changes in without the authorities knowing but imagine how embarrassing that would be if you had to let clients see the council shut you down and then lose income while they are forcing you to put your garage back to it's original state. Once again I am saying though that this would be very unusual but if you stay on the right side of the council they can be extremely helpful and forthcoming. We have NEVER had planning problems, not even with notoriously difficult councillors. Please feel free to PM me if you need any further info,

also have a little search on Google for " Permitted development" that will bring up a load of info as to what you are allowed to do in your garden without planning permission

Thank you so much that is all really helpful. We have parking for clients cars in our driveway so that's not an issue, there's 10 houses in my street and 5 of the houses are my clients already so they won't object.
It's so hard to get a straight answer off anyone from the council or planning department, they just pass you on to someone else..

Do you think I would be better converting it to a playroom, then changing it to business use as well?
I would hate to not get permission then be closed down but I also hate the thought of paying so much money and risk being refused permission.

Thank you for your help x

Latest posts

Back