all a bit samey?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare_bear

Reaction score
i get told repeatedly the first year after u qualify is the hardest, obviously u're still learning.

do u feel that u're cutting is all samey? there are only so many ways that u can cut layers into long hair and make it look different.

i feel when it comes to long hair its all a bit samey!

is this to do with the salon u're in, or the lack of skill?

anyone else get this?

Anything can feel a bit samey. What you will find, is as you get more confidence and experience, you will start to personalise each cut. So, you will start off with your basic cut but then personalise each cut differently.

I find, to break the monotony, that encouraging my clients to go for a change of look every 3-6 months. This keeps me entertained, and them happy! :)

sounds like you are in a bit of a comfort zone with your cutting. So no, it shouldn't be samey as every client is an individual.
Maybe it's a good time for a more advanced cutting course?
Being tutored by a great hairdresser will really open your eyes to new techniques and possibilties.

of course there are many basic cuts and you can easily get into a habit altho i am a very creative cutter which i love - although i now own a barbers and male grooming salon there is only so many ways the men want their hair done - there is always the gent that want something different - which is excately what they get. i take pride in my profession and totally love my work which makes a massive difference. i do love the total creative side to womans hairdressing sector altho i stil have many female customers which i do out of hours - remember you can change your cuts in many simple ways until you build up your confidence by maybe changing your scissor angling, deep point cutting, slicing and even colour!

there is so many different variants, if sum1 is coming in and asking for long layers do different variations to stop urself from getting into a rut, they may look very similar to an untrained eye but the feel of the hair when its done depending on texturising technique, angles, direction, weight distribution etc can vary greatly, for example someone asking for long layers with very thick curl hair and sum1 askin with fine poker str8 hair are gonna be very different.
like already said you will very soon notice urself doing ur own twist on things, but that comes with skill and confidence building. . x

you should try getting some hairdressing dvds i think theyre quite good for inspiration if your feeling a bit bored or maybe its time for some training? and like someone has already said why not try suggesting new ideas to your clients!

thanks for the replies guys!

i have loads of dvds loads and loads! went on a crazy spending spree at salons international during my first year at college.

i think it is a confidence thing, need to just go for it sometimes, i am at that stage where i can fix things if they go wrong, even though i dont think they will go wrong, i reckon i just need to spice up my clientele's styles, suggest changes etc, and as i watch the dvds i can defo imagine which style will suit which client, maybe i'll take in a pic or something and give them the option.

i think the thing is i am quite slow, and so get caught up in doing the quick way of layering, so i can do a cut + bd in 45mins. i guess once i speed up (as this is only my 7th month qualified) i will be a bit more daring?

i hope to god i speed up lol.

I do understand what you're saying. I had similar thoughts when I firsted started too. You have the basics and then you think thats it, but as the others have said, there are ways to personalize your cuts using other techniques. When I first started this, I was point cutting layers instead of just cutting them straight across. Also, you can make a blunt cut look more edgy by using a razor instead of shears. I would love to have loads and loads of dvds to look at!! Enjoy them!!!

Latest posts

Back