All over bleach or highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaEx

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am no hair expert only a customer asking for advice from professionals!

I've been having highlights for the last 5 years, 1 bleach and 1 ashy blonde tone colour. Back in the summer, I had my annual highlights done. The colour was fab! The best I've had ever! So blonde like the bleach blonde colour.

Anyway when I went back to get the roots done my hairdresser said that the last time I had them done my hair when it foils got very warm/hot (this does happen quite often to me, maybe cause its the well water at home?) and she said something like ''the bleach spread when it was on'' idk I can't remember what was the word she used. So she decided to use less peroxide with the bleach and she was much happier about it. I just went with it since I have no idea about hair lol.

But the outcome argh...I don't like, it's not the blonde I love. I've been thinking of going just bleach all over with no highlights if that makes sense? What would you hair colourist do in this position? My next annual highlights appointment will be December/January so I have plenty of time to consider it. Thanks for any advice! x

I'd say it all depended on whether you would be willing to go from having it done say every 10-12 weeks? maybe longer? to every 4 at a push. what base are you naturally? because if you are quite dark you would have to get your roots touched up fairly regular.

I think you should speak to your usual colourist and explain your concerns and plans. In experience well water can make the hair go very green after time and you do have to take more care with what you apply and how strong your peroxide is to save the condition of the hair. Maybe your colourist could show you some highlifts rather then bleach that would make you nice and light. Hope this helps x

Yes, definitely discuss the options with your colourist.

If there's a problem with the minerals in your well water affecting oxidisation then it will be better to use a chelating shampoo at home beforehand to remove the most neural build up and stick to lightener plus low strength developer rather than a highlift tint which requires a stronger developer.

However, as previously mentioned, if you're looking for an all-over blonde, it's a high maintenance look so be prepared to get your roots re-done very 4 weeks.

As others have said going from a highlighted look to an all over blonde is a much bigger commitment and you will need new growth touched up & toned every 4-6 weeks. You need to consider if not only can you afford to upkeep it, can you spare that amount of time as well? I think some people think an all over blonde is easier than highlights but the opposite is true! H/l are a more natural & easy option to maintain. Being a global blonde is expensive and can be a bit of a shock even when your used to highlights!

Latest posts

Back