All salon owners! Have I missed anything???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggie

Reaction score
This might sound a bit strange but I always panic and wonder if i've missed anything in setting up my salon!
Its been open about 6 months ago now, its going really really well just myself and another therapist, so 2 of us full time, its a family business me and my mum who is a holistic and beauty therapist. I've been doing beauty for over ten years , mum about 5..Anyway what I need to know is there anything I should be doing that i'm not already???
We set up registered with inland revenue, local council,insurers,babtac etc but not really done anything about actual health and safety apart from following health and safety measures and having first aid box etc and following rules of c.o.s.h.h but are we actually meant to ring up any sort of health and safety and register with anyone in particular or anything else that we've missed???

I panic that one day we'll get a visit from someone to say we've not done this this and this although i'm very experienced in the beauty trade i'm not that business savvy!
We've just been so busy working 60 hours a week each what with being fully booked most days, cleaning, towels etc etc the salon is just kind of running itself! and at the moment we're just keeping track of all incomings we only take cash or cheque so record every transaction and have a small sundries book which we record everything in and put receipt in but as for set up costs and dermalogica orders etc we just have a big drawer with all receipts and invoices in!!! Nightmare thought of even sorting it all out!!
For our wages we take a set sum of just £200 per week each in cash for now as we want to try and plough as much back into the business as much as poss, but as we just pay ourselves cash should we be recording this in any particular way???
I know we really need to get in touch with an accountant eventually but our we in any real danger either business wise or health and safety wise by doing what we're doing at the mo???
Anyone else recently set up or anyone give me any advise or peace of mind!!

Thanks!

if you are both fully booked, you are then obviously covering all bills, etc and making a profit.

I would employ a part time receptionist/manager. This person would then see to the towels, tidy up, take all receipts and start putting them into some sort of order, answer phone, check stock.

Get your self some cardboard folders (the ones that look a bit like an envelope) write on one January, another february, another march and so on until you have one for each month,
then put the corresponding receipts for each month in the folders,
1, you will be able to find your receipts much easier if you ever need to check on anything.
2, when you hand them in to your accountant he will want them all in order of each week and in monthly folders.
You can do courses through your local inland revenue office for free that will help you with book keeping and every thing else to do with running a business and they will help you with all your questions hth

From the top of my head, for Health & Safety, you need to have up to date risk assessments, coshh assessments, PAT testing for all electrical equipment over a year old, fire safety assessment and extinguishers (annually checked), fire/bomb evacuation proceedures, accident book I can't think of any more right now, it's late lol!

You don't need to register with your local H&S Department unless you have 5 or more employees, but its worth registering anyways, makes you feel all above board so to speak.

HABIA do a fabulous H&S manual which when completed will cover you and your salon for any H&S issues.

Glad to hear it's all going well, but do take some time out to do these things.

Latest posts

Back