Allergic reaction to patch test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyred25

Reaction score
I am not a hairstylist but I need your honest opinion.. I started to feel unwell after having my hair dyed.. Majirel dark brown no3. The patch tests were fine previously.. This time I had a patch tested on a majirel 4.34.. Within 10 minutes behind my ears were burning.(patch area). I washed the patch area and was left with a red circle burn mark..(positive allergic reaction). If this had gone on my hair, I dread to think what would have happend. The hair stylist said next time she will use meches so they don't touch the skin. Also different hair dye shades. I asked don't you need to patch test? She it's not needed, as not touching scalp. She also said take some periton/bendryll allergy tablets. I 've read somewhere that if you have a positive reaction, not to colour your hair. She did my hair using bleach and a number 6.35. I had no problems afterwards.. I still feel that I should not have had dye on my hair, even if meches. I went to another salon, and when I explained about the patch test. She said she has never heard of hair dye allergies, and looked shocked? She gave me a price list for hair colour . I need to know am I over reacting? Should the salon not use colour on my hair, even if it's foils/meches. Can I just have bleach highlights? It seems the salons are only after the money. I am in my 40's, and always had my hair dyed. What advice can you give me? I don't want to die for dye!!! I am happy to go blonde as I am 50% grey. Do I need to buy a wig? Just not ready to be grey yet. Also in my work, I need to look glamourous... Just don't feel safe having meches? thank you and hope you can advise..

It does sound like you are having a reaction. Sometimes this can develop even if you have had your hair coloured in the past with no problems. Have you recently had any tattooing done as this can trigger allergies? You had a number 3 which is very dark and the darker the shade, they have a higher amount of the paraphenylmendiamine present which is what some people are allergic to. This might explain why you were fine with the 6.35 as it's much lighter. It's best to test with the shade you are having to be sure. Also some people are fine with one brand eg loreal but allergic to another e.g wella so you do need to test with each product especially if you now know you are sensitive to hair colourants. Off scalp colour is the only way you should now have your hair coloured to minimise risk but still there is a risk of contact with scalp during the removal process so your hairdresser needs to be very careful when rinsing your meches out but it is possible to rinse them with nothing going on scalp. However As you are not overly worried about having the tint, I would just stick with your highlights for the time being or maybe have your lo-lites done with a Demi rather then a permanant colour (but still in meches so as to avoid scalp contact.)You would still need to skin test for the Demi. The fact your other hairdresser has not heard of allergies sets alarm bells ringing! I would be questioning if they are properly qualified as health and safety is in pretty much every unit in the qualification and they would not be able to pass a colouring unit without demonstrating evidence of performing a skin test and knowing what a positive reaction looks like!

I think the hairdresser was pretending to be unaware of hair allergies. Even box dyes have allergy test advice. The second salon I visited, she didn't mention about allergy testing. will go to another salon and ask about a demi. thank you for your advice (tried to reply but the reply went wrong)..

The first hairdresser is very wrong to suggest that using meche's or foils is perfectly safe and her advice goes against industry guidelines and best practice!

It's still very easy for a small amount of colour to touch the skin either when being applied or when it is being rinsed and it's very foolish to take such a risk when you have already had such a definite reaction. Just google images of allergies to hair dye to see the potential harm you can suffer, if you're still wavering about taking further risks.

With regards to using a Demi, I would still proceed cautiously. I am fine with permanent tint but definitely sensitive to numerous brands of non oxidising colours (semi's), so you still have to be careful.

I would recommend waiting for at least 3 months before having another patch test.

To be honest, the second hairdresser doesn't sound qualified if she genuinely hasn't heard of allergies to colour as it is an important topic within the basic level 2 hairdressing training.

Your health is far more important that mere vanity!

The 2nd hairdresser was very young.. I wasn't told that she was a junior stylist or trainee.. I assumed she was qualified? The haircut she gave me was actually what I asked for. The layers were cut precise, a very good haircut. I really believe it was a case of pretending to not know about allergies because most people who are not qualified hairdresser would know about hair allergies? The other salon I would never go back to.. I was stupid to let her use meches on me, knowing I had an allergic reaction. I did think this is wrong because I wasn't patch tested for the new hair dyes. It's really hard to go grey gracefully when I feel too young. Do people wear wigs or is bleach highlights safe? They don't contain PPD? thank you you for your reply.. I asked on here, as I know you would know the answer and not give a bias answer either.

Be sure to test when using a 'Demi'.
In 35 years, the only reaction to colour I've had was using a Demi!

thank you! I will not have a Demi or a tint again..

Always have a patch for any colorline out there, you might be allergic to the PPD which are the type of dyes used, there are PPD free color out there, but that is NO guarantee that is what it is, so you MUST patch test, as this is very, very serious.
Here's some PPD free color line out there.
OYA, Alfaparf, CHI, Colura, Kinnesence, Oligo and John Amico, and Wella Innosence, you can go on their websites to find a salon near you.

The reason we test with the darker shades is because it contains more PPD which is what people react too.

In no way does it mean that item safe to use a lighter colour on your hair. A patch test is less than 1% the size of your head, that's why we do them.

Like AcidPerm suggested leave it a while before having another test, and only with PPD free product.

Call up some salons and ask if they do PPD free colour, and then have a test with them.

The colour doesn't need to have direct contact with the skin to cause a reaction. Those chemicals in the colour work through oxidation, mixing with the air. So they are going into the air extremely close to your head.

You are not overreacting at all! They should not be putting colour anywhere near you at the moment!

Latest posts

Back