Allergic to monomer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I have done a search and haven't quite found an answer. I think I have recently started having a reaction to L&P. At first I thought it may be something else but I made a point of pinpointing the days or times I have the reaction and it seems to be a reaction to monomer. I dont get blisters or flaking skin, I just start feeling itchy all over and uncomfortable for want of a better word. No redness or any major physical signs but it is still not nice. It is especially noticeable if I have had to do a lot of filing as well. I was sorting through some of my kit the other day and got the itches by just handling the Monomer container, it seems as soon as I can smell it, it starts. Do you think it is a reaction or just silly me suffering from "phantom allergies" LOL.

I obviously dont want it to get worse but would hate to give up on L&P. Any advice would be welcome

Hi Geeks, I have done a search and haven't quite found an answer. I think I have recently started having a reaction to L&P. At first I thought it may be something else but I made a point of pinpointing the days or times I have the reaction and it seems to be a reaction to monomer. I dont get blisters or flaking skin, I just start feeling itchy all over and uncomfortable for want of a better word. No redness or any major physical signs but it is still not nice. It is especially noticeable if I have had to do a lot of filing as well. I was sorting through some of my kit the other day and got the itches by just handling the Monomer container, it seems as soon as I can smell it, it starts. Do you think it is a reaction or just silly me suffering from "phantom allergies" LOL.

I obviously dont want it to get worse but would hate to give up on L&P. Any advice would be welcome

If you are becoming sensitive to an ingredient in the monomer you are using then I can tell you, it will only get worse not better unless you change your monomer. There is nothing phantom about itching ... Although it shouldn't be all over but only where you are in contact with the monomer.

Are you using traditional monomer or odour free monomer (more reactive).

It's worth you trying a 'try me' kit from CND ... Many who become sensitive to other monomers can work quite happily with Retention + monomer from CND.

Learn to minimise the amount of dust you make as well by learning to sculpt. With your brush not your file. Another trick is to oil the nail surface before filing to create less airborne dust.

Make sure when you are using your brush that you do not wet your fingers by holding too near the brush hairs.

Just a few ideas. Take this seriously .. Allergy is no joke and you do not want this sensitivity to get that far if at all possible.

You want to get it sorted, im really allergic to monomer so have to be really careful! My skin swells goes bright red and itches insanely! Don't have problems anymore but I qualified when I was 16 and gave it up for years because my reaction was so bad. Training and products are much better now so no problems :) hope it gets better xxx

Thanks for the advice and the tips Geeg, I am a bit worried that it is going to get worse as well. It obviously is as when I first started I had no reaction but now I do even though it is not that bad yet. I have a Retention+ trial pack which I have used onece a while back so can't remember if it caused a reaction, I will have a little go on the next set I do. ( I have been saving it for "special occasions"LOL ) I defenitley had a reaction when I was sorting through some stock the other day and it was ASP which I was getting together to throw out. I bought it when I first started but couldn't get on with it,so since changed to NSI Attraction.
I will have to carefully watch any reactions over the next few sets of nauils to see which products are causing reactions, I at first thought it might be gel but pretty sure that it is the monomer now. And Laurensparkles, thank you as well, I am pleased that you can use L&P again, I may have to invest in some gloves but will be more carefull when handling the products in future. I thought I was but obviously not

Latest posts

Back