Allergic to Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurensbeauty

Reaction score
so today I shellac'd my own nails, some went on my hand (as I am clumsy) I wiped it off straight away (didn't cure it or anything like that) but now this has happened??? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1409407558.386026.jpg

it's red, swolen and itchy, does anyone know why?? I've applied a cold compress and washed my hands but it is getting worse?!!??

I have gotten CND Shellac on my skin countless times over the last 5 or so years, have yet to experience a reaction.
How hard did you rub your skin?
The only time my skin gets like that is when I vigorously clean in one spot.
Did you take an antihistamine?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I have gotten CND Shellac on my skin countless times over the last 5 or so years, have yet to experience a reaction.
How hard did you rub your skin?
The only time my skin gets like that is when I vigorously clean in one spot.
Did you take an antihistamine?

I just wiped it it came away really easy and yeah took a piriton tablet

Give it a day I say. if it doesn't improve or gets worse then best to see your GP for a proper diagnosis.

so today I shellac'd my own nails, some went on my hand (as I am clumsy) I wiped it off straight away (didn't cure it or anything like that) but now this has happened??? View attachment 73927

it's red, swolen and itchy, does anyone know why?? I've applied a cold compress and washed my hands but it is getting worse?!!??

Is it genuine CND Shellac? I thought this was hypoallergenic?

You can be allergic to anything. Hypoallergenic means it is less likely to cause an allergy.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What did you wipe it off with?

It's still a valid question.

soapy water & lint free pad, It's the same e45 soap I use every day

Ok so it's not that then. The best thing to do, as others have said, is to take an antihistamine and keep an eye on it. If there's no improvement or it gets worse then seek medical advice :hug:

You can be allergic to just about anything . I have bad reactions to the original cnd Brisa hard gel grrrr

I went to my GP, he said it was a reaction to the shellac polish and his put me on anti biotics as my hand is still sore and slightly swolen!

I wonder why he prescribed antibiotics? Has it become infected?

Wait until it's completely cleared up before reapplying shellac. Just in case.

Hopefully it will clear up now the doctor has given you something ... how did you get it that far up your hand?

An allergic reaction can often happen due to prolonged and repeated over-exposure to 'whatever' it is you are using... for example you might become 'allergic' to washing-up liquid if you always have your hands in suds... is there anything else this could have been? It does look very specific to the area on your hand... in other words you did have an immediate reaction to Shellac.

If that is the case, looks like you can't get it on your skin at all - which is good news for your nails as that's where it belongs anyway!! :hug:

What reason did he give you for prescribing Antibiotics?

Hopefully it will clear up now the doctor has given you something ... how did you get it that far up your hand?

i don't even know how it got on my hand I'm just clumsey

For the swelling

You'd think an ibuprofen would be sufficient for swelling combined with an antihistamine.
Many GPs overabuse antibiotics

Latest posts

Back