Allergy to Gel II

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effi Briest

Reaction score
Hi there, I started using Gel II in May as an alternative to CND Shellac and for customers whose nails could benefit from Gel II. I also started using it on my own nails and must admit that they looked less dry and appeared stronger. Unfortunately I started developing an allergy to Gel II, which is becoming so uncomfortable and sore that I am now back using Shellac. None of my Gel II customers has developed an allergy yet, but it has made me think and I don't really want to offer a treatment I'm reacting to myself.
Has anyone else made the same experience and have you stopped offering GelII or continued?
Thank you in advance.

No but funnily enough I have a client allergic to shellac who can have gel 2 quite happily.

Our constant exposure makes us far more vulnerable than our clients unfortunately x

I joined the Gel ll forum as was looking for an alternative gel polish but I am noticing a few people developing reaction to their product and again another one today. This has put me off trying it now to be honest :(
x
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you both for your replies. I will now no longer offer Gel II as I feel if I can eat allergic to it so can my customers. Better to be safe...

Thank you both for your replies. I will now no longer offer Gel II as I feel if I can be allergic to it so can my customers. Better to be safe...
I think it's like squidgernetball says you can become alergic with over exposure. Hope it settles for you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Unfortunately working as a nail tech sometimes we tend to over look PPE - such as wearing gloves, using our fingers to wipe away gel etc and leads to allergic reactions, although it is said once you suffer a reaction you always will x

Hi there, I started using Gel II in May as an alternative to CND Shellac and for customers whose nails could benefit from Gel II. I also started using it on my own nails and must admit that they looked less dry and appeared stronger. Unfortunately I started developing an allergy to Gel II, which is becoming so uncomfortable and sore that I am now back using Shellac. None of my Gel II customers has developed an allergy yet, but it has made me think and I don't really want to offer a treatment I'm reacting to myself.
Has anyone else made the same experience and have you stopped offering GelII or continued?
Thank you in advance.
Hi there I'm suffering terrible - 3rd time this month and as I don't do nails often I have definitely pinpointed it to gel II. Were you using the gel II cleanser? If so then I know that it's that product - if it isn't then I will have to get rid of the whole gel II range.

I am allergic to all gel products except for cnd ones. I stick with cnd because it is hyper allergenic.

Sometimes even the best PPE practices don't work with a bad allergy. I used to get a histamine reaction all over my body with some products.

I'd go back to Shellac based on what you describe OP.

I am back to using CND Shellac and Ink Ilac. Their products are fine and neither myself nor a client has ever had a reaction to them. Whereas the Gel II and even their reformulated polish have caused a very uncomfortable allergic reaction. I would not use Gel II again and try out either Ink London or CND Shellac.

Is ink London hypoallergenic?

I think it's a hybrid gel like Shellac

I am just starting out, so haven't come across this. But I just wanted to add something about hypoallergenic products.

No product is truly hypoallergenic. Any product containing mineral oil causes me to develop contact dermatitis (and just about all cures for skin problems contain mineral oil!), and anything containing a cocktail of chemicals there will always be a risk of a reaction. And from what I have read in the past there is not much of a criteria that has to be met to label a product as hypoallergenic.

I'm not saying don't choose your products carefully, I'm just saying even if something is labelled as hypoallergenic, still be aware it can cause a reaction.

Latest posts

Back