Allergy to nail products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetie_pie

Reaction score
Hi, a few nights ago I had a clean through of my nail brushes and dappen dishes etc as they had started to get a bit grubby or a build up of hardened acrylic, I accidentally spilt the acetone on my left hand, as I've had it on my hands plenty of times in the past I thought nothing off it so carried on. Then it came to my brushes I poured some monomer into a clean dappen dish and cleaned my brushes, after I put in some cotton wool to soak up the left over monomer, as I picked the cotton wool up some monomer ran down my fingers and into my palm, I immediately washed my hands and thought nothing off it till I woke in the night with awful itching on my little finger, ring finger and middle finger, I have small bumpy spots too. Is this a allergy developing to either one or possibly just caused by the mix of acetone and monomer? I had a client the following morning and have since started itching with spots on my left palm and the middle finger on my right hand but can't be sure if this was caused before hand or from the set of nails I did afterwards. I'll be heart broken if it's a allergy :( also does anyone have any tips for the itching as it's driving me insane and so far antiseptic creams haven't helped xx

Shouldn't really diagnose but I get that from time to time when I come into contact with acetone for very long periods if time. It's contact dermatitis, form of eczema. Since it's on the hand, I'd stay away from steroid creams. They thin the skin. Get some hydrocortisone cream, and take an antihistamine to relieve the itching. You have to get in the habit of using nitrile gloves when cleaning your equipment and implements, and when doing acrylics just in case it's the monomer setting it off.

Thank you, I'll try pop into walk in centre during the weekend for some hydrocortisone. Where do I purchase the gloves from? I've never heard of those ones? Xx

Nitrile gloves should be available in any wholesalers. :)

Brilliant, I'll have a look when I go on Monday x

Well i hadn't chance to go purchase some gloves and sil asked me yesterday on short notice to do her nails before her hols tomorrow, now I've woken up with a itchy bumpy rash again :( I used gelish and acetone, so I think it must be the acetone. I'll never be able to wear acrylic nails again and I love them :(

It definitely can't be any uncured gel on my hands as I hadn't used the gelish the other time I had this reaction. :/

I would say you have an allergy to something you are using, the only way to stop this happening is to wear gloves. I'm in the same boat. One day of not wearing gloves last week have resulted in this.... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405930979.294304.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405931027.137646.jpg

I'm not going to try and eliminate what it is I'm allergic too is rather just wear gloves x

I have exactly the same thing mine looks like that too. I now find even scrub fresh and any prep and wipe starts my allergy off.gutted loved doing acrylics im trying to find some comfy gloves at mo hate vinyl as they make your hands sweat but cant use latex either now ,thought my hands were quite hardy as ive been doing hairdressing for over 20 years :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would say you have an allergy to something you are using, the only way to stop this happening is to wear gloves. I'm in the same boat. One day of not wearing gloves last week have resulted in this....View attachment 70956View attachment 70957

I'm not going to try and eliminate what it is I'm allergic too is rather just wear gloves x

My fingers are the exact same as this. I wear gloves now for clients but I dread doing my own nails now as I'm pretty sure I'm developing an allergy :-(
However, it's only happened since I changed from shellac to gelish :-/

This same thing has happened to me too and have been wearing gloves but it seems to go through the gloves so wake up with sore itchy hands and also cracks and really sore dry peeling like your pictures. I use gellux so think it's the prep and wipe, remover or something in the polish affecting it. So horrible because I can't have nice nails now either as can't take them off correctly due to this. I was thinking cotton gloves but think the polish would go through those too. It's got to be an allergy that has developed over the 2 years of doing beauty. 😔

Hello ladies. I thought I'd come back to this as I've had a complete turn around since my last post. I was literally in despair over my nails/fingers/hands. My skin was cracked and weeping like the above pictures and I would literally be awake all night scratching at my skin or putting frozen items on my hands to try and numb the feeling.
However, since then I have changed 2 things. I've stopped using Gelish and now sticking solely to Shellac and I also bought the CND lamp as the lamp I had before was a non branded lamp that was a fraction of the price. I genuinely don't know which of these things was the culprit but the last 3/4 times I've done my nails they have been absolutely fine. No dry skin, no chopping, no itchiness no nothing. It has literally gone completely. Not even a slight tingle. I'm so happy. Maybe if any of these things ring any bells it may be of some help. I was literally ready to give up having my lovely nails 😅😅😅😅

Latest posts

Back