Almost at the big 60

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunettelady

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am almost 59, 60 next Year, I have worked most of my life in office management, I gave up work to be a carer to my brother in law who is mentally handicapped, and now my husband who has parkinsons disease.
This is the first time in my life I feel as though I have missed out greatly in the career world.
I am asking myself is it to late for me now to train in hairdressing? something for me for a change, and a career I have thought about for many years but just never took the plunge.
When I read about people in their 40's worrying about their age to be in hairdressing I want to shout get on with it before its to late, which perhaps it is for me.
Any thoughts anyone? I love doing hair, and enjoy cutting mens which i seem to be good at, but I would really get stuck in there and show what I am capable of, as I feel I am very creative, but just never get the chance to prove myself.
I do have a young out look, I think you have to in this day and age, I have young Nieces who laugh at the thought of me going into hair dressing, and some who think I should get on with it.
To get a wage would be great, but I would be willing to part paid work or some voluntary work just to gain experience, what do you think? cheers all xxx

I say, go for it! It's never too late to do something you love or want to do.

Best of luck! :)

I think that if it's something you'd like to learn about then definitely do it. It's always fun learning a new skill whatever age. I re-trained in my forties and there were several of us oldies on my level 2 course inc. a lady nearing retirement age.

However, realistically, you will face stiff competition from younger newly qualified hairdresser's when trying to find paid salon work. Also, level 2 is the basic hairdressing qualification but most salons will expect you to have completed level 3 (includes advanced cuts and colour correction) if you haven't got years of practical hairdressing experience.

No no no never too late
It's all about outlook
Don't ask anyone's opinion except your own
How will you feel in 10 years if you didn't bother?
Pleeeease go for it!!

Totally go for it. My aunt is an older lady and she done a nail course and hair extension course and is busy! She's moving on todo hair dressing x

Hi All,
I am almost 59, 60 next Year, I have worked most of my life in office management, I gave up work to be a carer to my brother in law who is mentally handicapped, and now my husband who has parkinsons disease.
This is the first time in my life I feel as though I have missed out greatly in the career world.
I am asking myself is it to late for me now to train in hairdressing? something for me for a change, and a career I have thought about for many years but just never took the plunge.
When I read about people in their 40's worrying about their age to be in hairdressing I want to shout get on with it before its to late, which perhaps it is for me.
Any thoughts anyone? I love doing hair, and enjoy cutting mens which i seem to be good at, but I would really get stuck in there and show what I am capable of, as I feel I am very creative, but just never get the chance to prove myself.
I do have a young out look, I think you have to in this day and age, I have young Nieces who laugh at the thought of me going into hair dressing, and some who think I should get on with it.
To get a wage would be great, but I would be willing to part paid work or some voluntary work just to gain experience, what do you think? cheers all xxx

You are never to old to be a hairdresser, the fact you have office management skills could make you a real asset. I would go around salons/barber shops in your area and actually ask them. Hairdressers and salons all have varying needs.

Latest posts

Back