Already unemployed-less risk going for a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Hiya guys, wanting your valued experience and opinions....
...I am on my level 2 hairdressing at college and will be qualified in july although I do quite a few clients already so Im getting some experience.I have my Tantrick training and equipment for that and I will be doing my CND foundation L&P in a week or so..hopefully qualified mid october. I am passionate about everything hair and beauty and have been from being a child,always creating and beautifying. Hopefully without sounding big headed here I feel I am good at what I do so far- I know I have a while to go yet.
What Im wondering is as I am currently unemployed and dont rely on any wages,except hubbys at the moment :)does this mean I have less risk to myself and family in starting out from scratch and renting a salon as I wont be losing wages from a job? At the moment we are fine, no lavish lifestyle with caviar and champagne but happily plodding along. The thing is my dreams are niggling at me and I just want to get out there and do it, Im going to scrimp all our pennies in the coming months and get a few more courses under my belt (waxing,tinting maybe eyelash extensions) so I have a variation of treatments to offer. Do you think when I have these I should just do it and start out with my CND nails, tanning and waxing etc and bring the hairdressing in when I am confident enough/get my speed up? All your advice is welcome, thanks peeps xx:hug:

Last edited:
I say go for it hun!!!! Life is too short to let your dreams slip thru your fingers.
It will be hard work, but you will surely reap the rewards in the end. You sound so so passionate about the industry and I think that is half your battle. :)
Just keep plodding away at getting those courses under your belt - cos, if you offer a wide range of treatments, the more customers you will get thru your door.

Good luck chick and let us know what happens.
Have a big :hug: from me.

Go for it Jodi!!! If you rent some where you can always rent a chair to a hairdresser who has more experience then you will have someone who can help you build your confindence, and as they will work on a self employed basis you wouldn't have wages to worry about. Also I read somewhere you should only employ people more experienced than your self can't remember why but I figure it makes sense :)

Your right about not having to drop a wage but remember it will tug on your current finances. Good luck hun hope it works for you XXX

Thanks for the votes of confidence it really makes a difference to know you have others to egg you on. Just didnt know if the nails, spraytan waxing and tinting would get me a good footing for now? I would say these are the most popular treatments apart from hairdressing- do you think? I know in my heart I want to do it but often the people close to you have a 'careful,safely does it attitude' when you are so keen to go ahead-obviously they just care but it sways your own judgement sometimes! Going to get them other courses under my belt then full steam ahead I think! Did any of you geeks open a salon with these few treatments to offer on your own or did you find you needed to take on staff ??? xx

Latest posts

Back