Am I in the wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molliedolliee

Reaction score
Hi guys! I don't know if you'll remember me but I'm Mollie and last year I started having an allergic reaction to colours and other products in the salon so I had to quit hairdressing altogether. I managed to find out what it was im allergic to by going to see a dermatologist, had to have 94 of those patches on my back to find out what it is.
Anyway. I've been out the salon since last May now and now work in fashion. But I do cut hair still just mainly friends and family so atleast I'm still doing abit. Basically one of my "friends" asked me for colour advice a couple of weeks ago. She was a level 5 not natural she had been putting box colour on top of box colour for many years and she wanted to go lighter. I told her the best option for her was to go to a salon since I couldn't do it for her and they would be able to do it properly I even found her prices for the salon I used to work at. I gave her the usual advice of not attempting to do it herself at home as it's such a big job to do and all sorts of disasters could happen. But of course she didn't take my advice did she. So she sent me a picture yesterday of her hair. It's yellow at the roots and orange on the ends the side has also snapped off. And she's telling me that she's going to put more bleach on it tomorrow. I told her not to because of the condition already. She said how shes got her grandads funeral and can't go to it with "ginger and yellow hair" She then proceeded to blame me for it because I couldn't do it for her!!!!! How is that my fault? I gave her all the advice and now because she didn't listen her hairs in crap condition. She got her cousin to do it
For her who isn't trained or qualified in hairdressing. Anything I said was apparently not good enough even though I had been doing hairdressing for five years so i think I know what I'm on about. I'm sorry for this long essay but I really needed a rant to people who understand how frustrating it is to feel like I did. But am I in the wrong should i have done it for her with my condition?

You know fine well you shouldn't, your 'friend' is being out of order and wanting someone other than herself to blame, you are not at fault.

I don't understand the Mentality of people who use box dye after box dye, botch their hair up blame someone else and in the long run spend more money than they would in the salon.

Leave her to walk around with the ginger yellow hair, tell her it's lovely, be the same friend to her that she is to you 😘 ...and don't beat yourself up about it!!

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

If it was that important (granddad's funeral) she should have had it done properly in the first place.

Don't you love it when you give someone advice, they don't take it, and it's your fault!

I wouldn't even offer any advice. I'd say "I've been out of the colouring game a while now, so really can't advise".

If she puts bleach on, that is her look out.

I think she wanted you to do the colour cheap, you refuse, so she cocks up a diy job.

Tell her to take responsibility for her actions x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I know I shouldn't do it that's why I didn't do it cause i didn't want to be poorly again. If she was any sort of friend she would know how poorly it would make me. She saw it happening last year for gods sake! But it's just the way she's made me feel and it's made me really angry. I really don't understand why people just think it's ok to blame anyone other than themselves it's ridiculous. Thank you for your replies made me feel tons better and they're so right what you said x

She's no friend of yours, but a user.

You gave her excellent advice but she was quite prepared for you to risk your health so she could get her hair done nice and cheap.

You didn't do what she wanted so she's completely ignored your helpful advice and now she's in a mess and blaming you.

Ditch her. She's a selfish cow and doesn't deserve your friendship.

I literally don't know what she expects me to say. You are all right though she's no friend of mine.
Why she couldn't just wait and save money if need be to have it done I don't know. I'm sorry for ranting but it's just really annoyed me and it takes a lot to annoy me

Last edited:
I would remove that photo as this is a public forum so she may see it xx

Ps no this isn't your fault and she sounds like she is being unreasonable x

i think people deal with grief in different ways. I think shes lashing out at you for her own mis-en-devours. take this as a learning curve, shes blaming you for something you haven't even done. She sounds toxic, let her be and start mingling with genuine people. xoxo

Good lord have mercy. If she would have taken your advice in the first place, she wouldn't be where she is now. That's like calling the bank and screaming at them because you spent $100 when you only had $20 in the account and you shouldnt be negative. Makes no sense. Kindly keep your dignity and address her as a professional, reiterate your advice and move on. You can't help those who wont help themselves.

Latest posts

Back