Am I too old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy E

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm soon to be 36, and am a stay at home mum with 2 kids, my son is s 2 and daughter of 6 months.
I've worked since the age of 15 in either a retail or office background but fancy a major change in career once my son starts school, so am thinking of doing either hairdressing or barbering.
Do you think I'm aiming too high at my age?? I'm really willing to start anywhere and have a college course interview lined up next week.

Hi Guys,
I'm soon to be 36, and am a stay at home mum with 2 kids, my son is s 2 and daughter of 6 months.
I've worked since the age of 15 in either a retail or office background but fancy a major change in career once my son starts school, so am thinking of doing either hairdressing or barbering.
Do you think I'm aiming too high at my age?? I'm really willing to start anywhere and have a college course interview lined up next week.
I think that's fantastic :) when I trained the majority of the class were over 30 so I definatley think it's good :) with having young children you can work for yourself flexibly too which I personally feel is very important with a young family, good luck!

Awww thank u ☺ I'm nervous but excited to try something new and I love the treat of having my own hair done so would love to recreate that experience for another person lol!

Being a hairdresser is such a rewarding job, you get to know such a variety of people :) image.jpgimage.jpg And as long as you enjoy it it never feels like work :)

I think that's fantastic :) when I trained the majority of the class were over 30 so I definatley think it's good :) with having young children you can work for yourself flexibly too which I personally feel is very important with a young family, good luck!

I employ a 'Mature Newbie'.
We have some 'tweeking' to do,(practice, practice practice), but she has a passion for the industry, is keen, and has a 'can do' attitude..... :D
Taking her on, has been my best decision so far...!
GOOD LUCK!

I went back to college full time at the grand old age of 37 to do beauty. I loved every minute of my training and set up doing beauty from home which worked perfectly around my children and helping care for my poorly stepfather. Fast forward 14 years and I have my own salon and my daughter is my star employee.

Don't live with regrets. You're never too old. Do something you love and enjoy.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow that's amazing and sure does boost my confidence knowing that it's possible to start again doing something completely out of my comfort zone ☺ x

I started training at 37 and now at 39 I am head assistant and will qualify at the end of the year. I am the oldest in the salon but I fit in As long as you keep your age out of head you will do fine. It's all about having a positive attitude and hard work and being able to take constructive criticism, never too old sure your only a baby!

When people say 'too old'... Too old for what? You're never too old to make someone feel good about themselves,
You only live once, this isn't a rehearsel, it's life.

If you feel like you'd be happy doing hair, then do it :)

If we have passion for something then age is never any issue, it’s all about the work I have seen even older people then you and still they work well, so I completely believe you can do a great job if you are truly passionate about it. Also, one more thing is that never think of you any lesser then others. Self Believe is the first step towards success…. Good luck.

When I was teaching at college, some of the best students were 'mature' students that came into hairdressing late for various reasons but all had wanted to do it from younger but ended up with different careers or having families. They were generally really focused, wanted to learn and didn't waste time because they had invested their own money and time and didn't want to waste time.
One in particular joined a year after her daughter as she came in to be a model for her on a few occasions and it made her realise she wanted to do it to. She was a fantastic student and secured a one day a week placement as an assistant at a local salon. She finished her level 2 and 3, got offered a position as a stylist where she was volunteering and a year later bought the salon herself!

No you are Defo not too old my mums in her early 50's and I've tried to get her to do a refresher course so she can do hair! She's not worked for years and is bored.

You're never too old go for it there's women in their 40's on my hairdressing course

Thank you all so much for the positive comments I have an interview at college on Wed morning and now i feel even more determined to do this xx

Good for you. Let us know how it goes x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you all so much for the positive comments I have an interview at college on Wed morning and now i feel even more determined to do this xx

Your never to old best of luck x

Best of luck dear and always remember it’s all about the determination, if you think you are capable of something then even the most difficult thing will get easier, but if we lack believe then nothing is possible. It’s not just that I am saying to motivate you but I am saying all this as I have seen many people very close to me have done it at much older age then you, so do whatever but always believe!!!

Good luck tomorrow, I was you 14 months ago and it's been amazing, hard work, challenging and well worth it x

Hey guys ☺ think my interview went well, they weren't telling anyone whether they got accepted for the course today unfortunately so I'll have to wait for a letter now.
My issue is that in our house my partner works (he's a postman) and money is a bit tight at times, when I spoke to the Finance Dept in the college they said because he works 39 hours I may have to pay all the fees!
Just wondering if any of u have been in the same boat, I don't claim any benefits by the way x

Latest posts

Back