Animals in salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAC1977

Reaction score
there is a salon local to me that does beauty, nails and tanning, where the owners take their dog in. Im sorry ut since seeing it, i have not returned back. whilst i like animals and have grown up with dogs, i do not think they should be allowed in salons/treatments room...?

Hi
I don't think it looks particularly professional in a salon setting, but i have my home salon and I have a bulldog called matilda, all my clients love her and she sometimes joins us in the salon, but usually just sleeps in the corner. If i had a client that didn't like dogs then i would put her in the utility room. I'm a serious dog lover so wouldn't have a problem with it but could see why some clients would.

I love animals,( got 3 cats and two terrapins) but don't think it's right to have pets in a salon enviroment, specially for health and safety reasons. What if the dog wanted to pee while the client was lying on the therapy bed having a massage? Lol:lol: Also, cant see a cat sitting on the reception desk going down to well.:lol:

Absolutely not!

It is illegal here to have an animal in the salon, unless it is a guide dog. I would not want to go to a salon with an animal in it and I have 2 dogs.

I agree, a definate no no!
The best one I had was when a slightly eccentric older client booked her friend Honey in for a file and polish.When Honey came in for her appointment she was a golden retriever.....

Whilst I love dogs and I think they can be relaxing to stroke a salon is not the right place for them. I think the only acceptable animal for me would have to be fish, in a tank or goldfish bowl of course!

My dog Ted comes to work with me, but is confined to the staff room. We are a hair salon as well as beauty, and he is most definately not allowed near the beauty rooms. I worry more about what he could catch in the hair salon(he eats hair!) than what clients are gonna catch from him.
He is an ultra cute cavalier king charles spaniel by the way, and I think, more popular than me! We do not serve food in the salon, so there are no laws saying he can't be there.

In four and a half years, I have had one client complain. We have had countless clients turn up with dog toys, treats and chocolate drops for him however. One of our clients always insists on taking him for a little walk after his haircut, as he enjoys dogs but can't have one himself.

All in all, Ted being there does no harm, and is better for him than being left at home all day with those pesky persians (who are a bit mean to him)

I allow people with dogs in just to book an appointment or enquire. I had a lady wait for her mum and she had a tiny little lap dog and that's fine. I wouldn't be able to have great big dogs in because its a small salon and our wooden floor is very slippery for them. I have two dogs and just love all dogs.

All that said, I don't allow children under 12 in , but dogs are better behaved lol!

Can I book my poodle in for a pink rinse and a bob?

I love that your dog goes to work with you. Think it has to depend on the nature of the dog but can't see a problem with it. My little dogs go.everywhere with me...my jackrussell x chihuahua walks with me like he's glued to my ankle and my little lady (chihuahua) climbs into my handbag and sleeps x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

My dog Ted comes to work with me, but is confined to the staff room. We are a hair salon as well as beauty, and he is most definately not allowed near the beauty rooms. I worry more about what he could catch in the hair salon(he eats hair!) than what clients are gonna catch from him.
He is an ultra cute cavalier king charles spaniel by the way, and I think, more popular than me! We do not serve food in the salon, so there are no laws saying he can't be there.

In four and a half years, I have had one client complain. We have had countless clients turn up with dog toys, treats and chocolate drops for him however. One of our clients always insists on taking him for a little walk after his haircut, as he enjoys dogs but can't have one himself.

All in all, Ted being there does no harm, and is better for him than being left at home all day with those pesky persians (who are a bit mean to him)

I think been kept in the staff room is fine because clients wont see him but if i went to a salon with a dog on the shop floor id find it really off putting and people could be allergic.also i dont allow any dog near my child so if i went to a salon and had a dog sniffing around him i wouldnt be best pleased. However much the owner said oh it doesnt bite because you never know with dogs xx
Sent from my X10i

I am mobile and absolutely love animals and having my mum be a dog sitter/walker i come into contact with loads of woofers :).
But i personally think in a salon they should be away from the main room (where people walk in). Just because of people being allergic, scared etc. Staff room etc is fine. I personally love it when a client has animals :) but thats there homes lol

Also, cant see a cat sitting on the reception desk going down to well.:lol:

I think that'd look cute if it was curled up asleep! haha

Obviously it has to come down to health and safety but animals are cute and the majority of people love them. personally any cat/dog I see I will stroke it lol. As long as they're away from the treatment rooms I'd have no problem with it :) x

Last time I went and got my brows threaded, there was a little dog trotting around in the salon sort of under peoples feet in the hairdressing bit, not sure if he belonged to a member of staff or a customer but either way I didn't feel it was particularly appropriate in terms of the little dogs safety (chemicals, getting stepped on etc) or hygiene - he was really cute and I love dogs but it did make me question the professionalism of the salon....

Threading a dog must take bloody ages! Phew!

Ted is not allowed on the salon floor while we are open.

I know 100% that he would not bite anyone. It's such a shame people think that it is a normal thing for dogs to do. Normal, happy dogs do not bite.
Healthy dogs don't give you diseases either. Nor does my dog have fleas.

People can carry diseases, but we risk assess what we can catch off them. We don't ban them from the salon just because they are unwell, as long as it is not communicable, however I have lost count of the number of clients who come in with colds and coughs.

My dog had a trainer in the salon (as well as elsewhere) so that he knows what he is allowed to do. Firm boundaries make for a happy dog.

My wholesalers has a cat who sits in their shop all day, and collects strokes from their customers. I find that charming, and always give him a chin rub while I'm waiting to pay.

Animals can enhance our lives, lower blood pressure, and give enormous pleasure. It seems a shame that people bring children up to be so fearful.

I have no problem with animals in my salon. When I had a dog she used to come and lie in the staff room whilst we worked. It was fine. I'm not sure how I'd feel about massively huge dogs coming in, but I have allowed clients to bring in their small lap dogs and we even had a kitten bought in once. My salon is quite small though and boutique - we mostly only have one stylist working except for busy days so often we find that we only have one hair client in at a time unless we're busy.

Awww I love this! My doggie? I'd have no chance bringing him into work, he is too blinking excitable and big... bootiful yellow lab that bounces off all fours up to my shoulder height i kid you not! Should have been called Tigger! Clients would love him but I think he'd be beside himself with all the fuss. I say, if you have a lovely doggy why not as long as its done the same way as above and not excitedly running round the joint! I actually think its a real personal touch seeing how much the owner loves their doggy. Maybe Im a mushy pet lover but I think its nice. :D

Latest posts

Back