Another inquiry from a DIY'er-how do you handle these situations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had a lot of people lately asking me where I buy my products, how I apply Gelish or how they can buy it without having a certificate etc.. They're always online inquiries but I just don't know how to handle them. I say the same thing every time-"I am a certified professional and hold a degree in nail technology. I purchase my products from an authorized license-only beauty supplier."

I'm sure you can guess what I really want to say. The beauty industry is deregulated here so this happens often but I can't help but be pissed off by it when I've spent a lot of money to get me where I am at today. It's such an insult to me.

How would you deal with these situations? I know it'll happen again.

I think you are handling it perfectly now. I always tell them that you will need to provide your qualifications and certificates if you want to buy from suppliers, even if you don't! This usually puts them off trying. :wink2:

I'd just say : Not being in that boat myself I really wouldnt know... All I know is that unless your Qualified you can't be insured ....

I always say, "When you become a nail professional like me, you'll know all these little insider secrets."

And in my mind I'm finishing that sentence with, "....til then, s** off." :wink2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always say, "When you become a nail professional like me, you'll know all these little insider secrets."

And in my mind I'm finishing that sentence with, "....til then, s** off." :wink2:

I'm always irritated and feel like saying something mean but I always hold back. I would never think to message a hair dresser and ask her how I can streak my own hair and what works best and where can I buy what she buys.

It just seems like common sense to me. I'm certified and work hard and continually educate myself because I want to be the best at what I do. I'm not going to help someone do it themselves. Arg. It may be snobby but I don't care really.

I'd just say : Not being in that boat myself I really wouldnt know... All I know is that unless your Qualified you can't be insured ....

I like that too. I always feel like giving a big lecture about insurance but hold back with that too. Lol.

I had a regular client proudly show off her newly gel polished nails ( while I waxed her bikini line) "sorry" she said "I haven't been in for my nails I got bought at home gel system!" (I won't say which one) I smiled sweetly that's very nice I said.

I wonder do we make our chosen career effortless and easy so that our clients think that with pigeon knowledge they can do our job? Just because I sat and intently watch my plasterer plaster my kitchen does that mean I can save myself money and plaster my whole house?! No it does not.

Is this the future? I hope not.

I have a little paragraph on my Facebook page info to prevent anyone asking anymore. If anyone does I direct them to it.

It says that " I get a lot of enquiries about how to get hold of shellac for DIY use and I'm sorry but I cannot supply shellac as a retail item so please dont ask but I can recommend a great way to become a nail technician yourself so you can get insurance and buy the products from the authorised source"

I guess if they can do a good job on their own nails then good luck to them. I'd cut my own hair if I could! Luckily untrained people will not do a good job.

Hi everyone,

I've had a lot of people lately asking me where I buy my products, how I apply Gelish or how they can buy it without having a certificate etc.. They're always online inquiries but I just don't know how to handle them. I say the same thing every time-"I am a certified professional and hold a degree in nail technology. I purchase my products from an authorized license-only beauty supplier."

I'm sure you can guess what I really want to say. The beauty industry is deregulated here so this happens often but I can't help but be pissed off by it when I've spent a lot of money to get me where I am at today. It's such an insult to me.

How would you deal with these situations? I know it'll happen again.

You are very patient....

I would just ignore them

You are very patient....

I would just ignore them

My husband tells me to ignore the inquiries too but then I sit and fume if I ignore them. Lol. Oh well. I'll just learn to deal with it.

Latest posts

Back