Any ideas how I can clean my dad's nail, pic attached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joingram87

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

I was just wondering if you would be able to help me with my dads thumb nail.

As you can see in their pic he has a black square patch. On investigation, I can seen that this patch of nail has come away from the nail bed and dirt has got inbetween, I suspect that this has somehow happened through his work as he is an oven cleaner and quite hands on.

Do you have any suggestions how we can get the dirt out, and get this healed so it doesn't keep happening?

Thanks for your help and advice and merry Christmas to you all. :)
y7a5u7a8.jpg

Hi geeks :)

I was just wondering if you would be able to help me with my dads thumb nail.

As you can see in their pic he has a black square patch. On investigation, I can seen that this patch of nail has come away from the nail bed and dirt has got inbetween, I suspect that this has somehow happened through his work as he is an oven cleaner and quite hands on.

Do you have any suggestions how we can get the dirt out, and get this healed so it doesn't keep happening?

Thanks for your help and advice and merry Christmas to you all. :)
y7a5u7a8.jpg

Looks more like a blood blister to me. Has he had a trauma to his thumb?

I agree, that looks like a damaged nail.

My dad traps his fingers all the time, at the mo he's got 2 nails like this, just about twice the size !!

These things tend to clean themselves as they grow out. Using Solar Oil regularly will help to soften the bed epithelium and to loosen the dirt so that the nail can re-attach. Ask him to wear rubber gloves, just like we do everyone else, when he is doing the really dirty stuff.

The thing NOT to do is to prod or poke at the area in an attempt to scrape any dirt out ... This will only make things worse and will prolong the re attachment of the nail plate to the nail bed.

Hi all, thank you for your help :)

I can see what you mean with it looking like a blood blister but some days theres not as much there- these tend to be the days he has less work on and is in contact with less dirty ovens.

He said he hasn't knowingly damaged his nail...

Thanks geeg, that's exactly what I suggested to him re solar oil and not to scrub at it and to wear gloves when working.

Latest posts

Back