Anyone Fancy A Christmas Quiz?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Guild

Reaction score
Every year, the Guild puts together a daily Christmas Quiz for our contacts, so I thought I would share them with the Geeks to help waste a bit of time for you all. Today is all about Christmas singles.
  1. Complete the lyric: In the meadow we can build a snowman,
    Then pretend that he is ___
  2. Who released the single ‘Last Christmas’?
  3. The Christmas hit ‘Mad World’ by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews was originally a hit for whom?
  4. Who wrote the famous song ‘White Christmas’?
  5. What was Jona Lewie’s hit Christmas single in 1980?
  6. Who dueted with Bing Crosby on a version of ‘The Little Drummer Boy’?
  7. ‘Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree’ was a hit for which duo?
  8. ‘Walking In The Air’ was made famous by Aled Jones, but who sang the original version on the soundtrack of ‘The Snowman’?
  9. ‘Wombling Merry Christmas’ was a hit in which year?
  10. X Factor winner Alexandra Burke earned the 2008 Christmas number one with her version of ‘Hallelujah’. Who recorded the original version?
I'll post the answers, and a new quiz, tomorrow.

How embarrassing...I only know the answer to Question #1...

Every year, the Guild puts together a daily Christmas Quiz for our contacts, so I thought I would share them with the Geeks to help waste a bit of time for you all. Today is all about Christmas singles.
  1. Complete the lyric: In the meadow we can build a snowman,
    Then pretend that he is __Father Brown_
  2. Who released the single ‘Last Christmas’?wham
  3. The Christmas hit ‘Mad World’ by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews was originally a hit for whom?
  4. Who wrote the famous song ‘White Christmas’?Bing Crosby
  5. What was Jona Lewie’s hit Christmas single in 1980?
  6. Who dueted with Bing Crosby on a version of ‘The Little Drummer Boy’?David Bowie
  7. ‘Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree’ was a hit for which duo?
  8. ‘Walking In The Air’ was made famous by Aled Jones, but who sang the original version on the soundtrack of ‘The Snowman’?
  9. ‘Wombling Merry Christmas’ was a hit in which year?1975?
  10. X Factor winner Alexandra Burke earned the 2008 Christmas number one with her version of ‘Hallelujah’. Who recorded the original version?
I'll post the answers, and a new quiz, tomorrow.

Dont know if any of my answers are right :eek:

I think it's Parson Brown, and Jona Lewie sang Stop The Cavalry.

Anyone else want to add anything lol? :)

The correct answers for yesterday were: 1. Parson Brown 2. Wham 3. Tears For Fears 4. Irving Berlin 5. Stop The Cavalry 6. David Bowie 7. Mel Smith & Kim Wilde 8. Peter Auty 9. 1974 10. Leonard Cohen.

Today, it's anagrams!

1. ASTCIHMRS AYD

2. UMLP DGIPDUN

3. LMDEUL NEIW

4. ASTNA LCUSA

5. CBEREDME WTYNET HFTIF

6. TSNIA SLHNCIO

7. ETMTLIESO

8. LCORA GISSNRE

9. EUSNEQ ESHECP

10. IYRAF SGLHTI

11. PGWPRIAN EPRAP

12. DGTHMNII SMSA

13. LBSUSER PSUSOTR

14. DRE SDNEO EINEREDR

15. EGRESNITG SDCRA

The correct answers for yesterday were: 1. Parson Brown 2. Wham 3. Tears For Fears 4. Irving Berlin 5. Stop The Cavalry 6. David Bowie 7. Mel Smith & Kim Wilde 8. Peter Auty 9. 1974 10. Leonard Cohen.

Today, it's anagrams!

1. ASTCIHMRS AYD - Christmas Day

2. UMLP DGIPDUN - Plum Pudding

3. LMDEUL NEIW - Mulled wine

4. ASTNA LCUSA - Santa Claus

5. CBEREDME WTYNET HFTIF

6. TSNIA SLHNCIO -

7. ETMTLIESO

8. LCORA GISSNRE - Carol Singers

9. EUSNEQ ESHECP - Queens speech

10. IYRAF SGLHTI - Fairy lights

11. PGWPRIAN EPRAP - Wrapping paper

12. DGTHMNII SMSA - Midnight Mass

13. LBSUSER PSUSOTR -

14. DRE SDNEO EINEREDR - Red nose reindeer

15. EGRESNITG SDCRA
- Greetings cards

I may come back and do more LOL

Today, it's anagrams!

1. ASTCIHMRS AYD

2. UMLP DGIPDUN

3. LMDEUL NEIW

4. ASTNA LCUSA

5. CBEREDME WTYNET HFTIF December twenty fifth

6. TSNIA SLHNCIO Saint Nicholas ? (think there is a letter A missing in the clue)

7. ETMTLIESO Mistletoe

8. LCORA GISSNRE

9. EUSNEQ ESHECP

10. IYRAF SGLHTI

11. PGWPRIAN EPRAP

12. DGTHMNII SMSA

13. LBSUSER PSUSOTR Brussel sprouts - my favourite

14. DRE SDNEO EINEREDR

15. EGRESNITG SDCRA

I lurrrrve anagrams Fiona beat me to it

Last edited:
5. CBEREDME WTYNET HFTIF - December 25th

6. TSNIA SLHNCIO - Saint Nicholas

7. ETMTLIESO - Mistletoe

The Mods have cleaned up with this one (well, 3 of us lol) :lol: :twisted:

Thanks to everyone who took part yesterday, the correct answers were: 1. Christmas Day 2. Plum Pudding 3. Mulled Wine 4. Santa Claus 5. December Twenty Fifth 6 .Saint Nicholas 7. Mistletoe 8. Carol Singers 9. Queen’s Speech 10. Fairy Lights 11. Wrapping Paper 12. Midnight Mass 13. Brussel Sprouts 14. Red Nosed Reindeer 15. Greetings Cards. (Bonus point to Adele for spotting the 'deliberate' mistake)

Today, all the answers are groups of 5!

1. Name the 5 spice girls (full names and nick names).
2. What are the 5 highest carbon polluting countries in the world?
3. Who were the last 5 British Monarchs (excluding Elizabeth II)?
4. Name the 5 cheapest properties on the monopoly board.
5. What are the 5 tallest buildings in the world?
6. What are the 5 longest rivers in the world?
7. What are the first 5 books of the Old Testament?
8. Who were the last 5 BBC Sports Personalities of the Year?
9. What are the 5 most popular languages in the world?
10. Who were the last 5 England football managers (excluding Fabio Capello)?

That one is way too hard - embarrassingly I could probably only name the Spice Girls LOL.

1. Name the 5 spice girls (full names and nick names). melanie brown, scary spice. melanie chisolm, sporty spice. geri halliwell, ginger spice. emma bunton, baby spice. victoria beckham, posh spice.
2. What are the 5 highest carbon polluting countries in the world?usa, china, india, britain? not sure
3. Who were the last 5 British Monarchs (excluding Elizabeth II)?
4. Name the 5 cheapest properties on the monopoly board. old kent road, the angel islington...ermmmm
5. What are the 5 tallest buildings in the world?
6. What are the 5 longest rivers in the world?
7. What are the first 5 books of the Old Testament?
8. Who were the last 5 BBC Sports Personalities of the Year?
9. What are the 5 most popular languages in the world?english, spanish, chinese, french...
10. Who were the last 5 England football managers (excluding Fabio Capello)?

Name the 5 spice girls (full names and nick names).
Geraldine Estelle Halliwell , Geri Ginger spice, Melanie Janine Brown Mel B Scary spice,Emma Lee Bunton Emma Baby spice, Melanie Jayne Chisholm Mel C Sporty SPICE,Victoria Addams Victoria posh spice
What are the 5 highest carbon polluting countries in the world
China, USA, Russia, india, Japan
Who were the last 5 British Monarchs (excluding Elizabeth II)?
George VI,Edward VIII,George V,Edward VII, Victoria
Name the 5 cheapest properties on the monopoly board
Old Kent Rad,White chapel rd, the angel islington, euston rd, pentonville rd
What are the 5 tallest buildings in the world
Burg al Arad, Taipei 101, Shaghai world financail centre,petronas tower, sears tower
What are the 5 longest rivers in the world?
Nile, Amazon,mississippi,Yenisey,Yangtze
What are the first 5 books of the Old Testament
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy
Who were the last 5 BBC Sports Personalities of the Year
Chris hoy,Joe Calzaghe,Zara philips,Andrew Flintoff,Johny wilkinson
What are the 5 most popular languages in the world? (Very tricky !!!!)
English , spainish, mandarin,russian french
Who were the last 5 England football managers (excluding Fabio Capello)?
Steve Mcclaren, sven goresten erikkson, peter taylor, kevin keagen, howard wilkinson

The correct answers were: 1. Geri Halliwell (Ginger), Victoria Beckham nee Adams (Posh), Emma Bunton (Baby), Melanie Brown (Scary), Melanie Chisholm (Sporty) 2. China, USA, Russia, India, Japan 3. George VI, Edward VIII, George V, Edward VII, Victoria 4. Old Kent Road, Angel Islington, Whitechapel Road, Euston Road, Pentonville Road 5. Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Centre, Petronas Tower 2, Petronas Tower 1, Sears Tower 6. Amazon, Nile, Yangtze, Mississippi, Yenisey 7. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy 8. Chris Hoy, Joe Calzaghe, Zara Phillips, Andrew Flintoff, Kelly Holmes 9. Mandarin, Spanish, English, Arabic, Hindi 10. Steve McClaren, Sven Goran Ericsson, Peter Taylor, Kevin Keegan, Howard Wilkinson.

Today is the events of 2009.

1. May of this year saw the 54th Eurovision Song Contest take place in Moscow. Who penned the British entry?

2. Susan Boyle made headlines through her appearance on Britain’s Got Talent, but who eventually won the show?

3. Jenson Button completed a fairytale Formula 1 season in October by winning the championship with Brawn GP. What team did Brawn take over from?

4. The fastest selling single of 2009 was ‘Fight For This Love’. Who sang it?

5. The MP’s expenses scandal rocked Parliament after details were published in May. Which national newspaper exposed the dubious claims?

6. The Guild launched their very first Awards Of Excellence this year. How many categories were there?

7. Which film won the Best Picture Oscar this year?

8. Barack Obama has completed his first year as US President, but what prestigious international award will he be collecting today?

9. 2009 saw the passing of music legend Michael Jackson. What was the name of the show he was due to perform this summer?

10. England celebrated another home Ashes series win this year. Who was the top English wicket taker?

1. May of this year saw the 54th Eurovision Song Contest take place in Moscow. Who penned the British entry? Sir/LordAndrew Lloyd Webber

2. Susan Boyle made headlines through her appearance on Britain’s Got Talent, but who eventually won the show?
Diversity

3. Jenson Button completed a fairytale Formula 1 season in October by winning the championship with Brawn GP. What team did Brawn take over from?Honda

5. The MP’s expenses scandal rocked Parliament after details were published in May. Which national newspaper exposed the dubious claims?

6. The Guild launched their very first Awards Of Excellence this year. How many categories were there?

8. Barack Obama has completed his first year as US President, but what prestigious international award will he be collecting today?

9. 2009 saw the passing of music legend Michael Jackson. What was the name of the show he was due to perform this summer?

10. England celebrated another home Ashes series win this year. Who was the top English wicket taker?

I had to be honest and only answered the ones I knew without the use of Google!

1. May of this year saw the 54th Eurovision Song Contest take place in Moscow. Who penned the British entry?Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber

Diversity

3. Jenson Button completed a fairytale Formula 1 season in October by winning the championship with Brawn GP. What team did Brawn take over from?

Cheryl Cole

Telegraph

Slumdog Millionaire

Nobel Peace Prize

This Is It!

Those are my answers, no Googling here either :wink2:

I have neglected my Geeky quizzes for a few days but they are back today. The last answers were: 1. Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber 2. Diversity 3. Honda 4. Cheryl Cole 5. Daily Telegraph 6. 11 7. Slumdog Millionaire 8. Nobel Peace Prize 9. This Is It 10. Stuart Broad.

Today's quiz is is based on the Band Aid records.

1. Who sang the line ‘It’s Christmas time, there’s no need to be afraid. At Christmas time, we let in light and we banish shade’ in the 1984 version?
2. Who sang ‘And in our world of plenty, we can spread a smile of joy. Throw your arms around the world at Christmas time’ in the 2004 version?
3. In the 1989 version, who sang ‘But say a prayer; pray for the other ones’?
4. ‘At Christmas time it’s hard, but when you’re having fun’ was sung by whom in the 2004 version?
5. Who dueted the line ‘There’s a world outside your window, and it’s a world of dread and fear’ with Sting in the 1984 version?
6. Which Aussie partnership was reunited in the 1989 version to sing ‘Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears’?
7. ‘And the Christmas bells that ring are the clanging chimes of doom’ was sung by Cliff Richard and who else in 1989?
8. Who sang the line ‘Well, tonight thank god it’s them instead of you’ in both the 1984 and 2004 versions?
9. Jamelia sang ‘And there won’t be snow in Africa this Christmas time’ with which pop idol?
10. 1989 saw who sing the line ‘The greatest gift they’ll get this year is life’?
11. ‘Where nothing ever grows’ was another line for who in 1984?
12. Which rapper partnered Beverley Knight on the 2004 version to sing ‘No rain nor rivers flow’?
13. The first reference to ‘Do they know it’s Christmas time at all?’ was NOT sung by all of the participants in which version?
14. Who sang ‘Raise a glass for everyone’ in 2004?
15. Which band sang ‘Here’s to them’ in 2004?

I wouldn't be able to answer them (apart from #8 which is Bono lol) without going on YouTube, but I'd be able to name all of them from the 1984 one just by seeing their faces :lol:
(omg, I'm feeling old now!)

Yesterday's answers were: 1. Paul Young 2. Dido 3. Cliff Richard 4. Robbie Williams 5. Simon Le Bon 6. Kylie and Jason 7. Marti Pellow 8. Bono 9. Will Young 10. Sonia 11. Paul Young 12. Ms Dynamite 13. 1989 14. Justin Hawkins 15. Busted.

Today's quiz is is based on sport.

1. Who are the current holders of the Champions League Trophy?
2. Which Formula 1 team admitted cheating at Singapore in 2008?
3. Who is the only Englishman to be named as one of Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year in 2009?
4. Who won the Rugby Union 6 Nations this year?
5. Which team won the Superbowl in 2009?
6. Which East Midlands city has been selected as one the venues for the English 2018 World Cup bid?
7. Who holds the world record for the 100 metres?
8. Which tennis player is currently ranked number 1 in the world?
9. Who won the snooker UK Championship this weekend?
10. Who is the BBC Sports Personality Of The Year?

Yesterday's answers were: 1. Paul Young 2. Dido 3. Cliff Richard 4. Robbie Williams 5. Simon Le Bon 6. Kylie and Jason 7. Marti Pellow 8. Bono 9. Will Young 10. Sonia 11. Paul Young 12. Ms Dynamite 13. 1989 14. Justin Hawkins 15. Busted.

Today's quiz is is based on sport.

1. Who are the current holders of the Champions League Trophy?
2. Which Formula 1 team admitted cheating at Singapore in 2008? Renault
3. Who is the only Englishman to be named as one of Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year in 2009?
4. Who won the Rugby Union 6 Nations this year?
5. Which team won the Superbowl in 2009?
6. Which East Midlands city has been selected as one the venues for the English 2018 World Cup bid?
7. Who holds the world record for the 100 metres?
8. Which tennis player is currently ranked number 1 in the world?
9. Who won the snooker UK Championship this weekend?
10. Who is the BBC Sports Personality Of The Year? Ryan Giggs

Sorry dont really do sports LOL.

The correct answers were: 1. Barcelona 2. Renault 3. James Anderson 4. Ireland 5. Pittsburgh Steelers 6. Nottingham 7. Usain Bolt 8. Roger Federer 9. Ding Junhui 10. Ryan Giggs.

Today's quiz is is based on music.

1. To prevent another X Factor Christmas number 1, a campaign has been launched to get a song called ‘Killing In the Name Of’ to the top spot. Who recorded it?
2. Staying with X Factor, this years winners song is ‘The Climb’. Who originally released this song?
3. Which video was the first to be played on MTV?
4. The following lyrics are taken from which Rolling Stones song: “Childhood living is easy to do, the things you wanted I bought them for you...”
5. What is Adam Ant’s real name?
6. What was the Beatles’ first single in 1962?
7. ‘Crazy In Love’ was the first solo single for which diva?
8. After the death of Keith Moon in 1978, who took over as the drummer of ‘The Who’?
9. Survivor’s ‘Eye Of The Tiger’ was used in which film?
10. Dizzee Rascal partnered which DJ on ‘Dance Wiv Me’?

Latest posts

Back