Apple TV opinions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting Apple TV to stream films from my laptop to my TV (don't have a HDMI port on my laptop) - is this even possible? also, was thinking about getting Netflix on it too. Just wanted opinions of anyone who's got it and what else can I do on it? YouTube workout vids? hehe. Thank you

You connect the Apple TV to your TV so as long as that has a HDMI port you will be fine.
Is your laptop a MAC? As the only way I know how to connect my Apple TV is through Airplay. If you want to just connect your laptop straight to your TV and both have HDMI cables you won't need an Apple TV :)

You can use Airplay to just show whatever is on your screen on the TV so you can do everything on there pretty much.

You connect the Apple TV to your TV so as long as that has a HDMI port you will be fine.
Is your laptop a MAC? As the only way I know how to connect my Apple TV is through Airplay. If you want to just connect your laptop straight to your TV and both have HDMI cables you won't need an Apple TV :)

You can use Airplay to just show whatever is on your screen on the TV so you can do everything on there pretty much.

Oh right, yes my laptop is a MAC, but it is ancient, well about 6 or 7 years old now...not sure that makes a difference, I would love a new one but just don't have the money for one. Never heard of Airplay before but I'm going to look into it, thank you so much. Oh only thing is, I don't have a smart TV, or a HDMI port in my laptop which is annoying, I have USB though xx

So expensive aren't they!!! :mad:
I think you can get an adapter for a MAC if you don't have a HDMI cable which plugs into the laptop.
You definitely need a HDMI port in your TV, it doesn't have to be a smart TV as long as it has the port.
With AppleTV you also don't have to always connect your laptop to the box, as long as you log in it will pick up everything you have in your iTunes. Also, Netflix is already installed so you can just log in straight through AppleTV.

If you buy one in store though they will help you get everything you need and make sure it is all compatible :)

There's a thread about Netflix mixed responses but I like it

We have Apple TV & haven't got a smart TV, the box plugs into your TV, then you can stream from your iPhone/iPad it's great, use it all the time!!

Latest posts

Back