Appointment book vs software?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

York

Reaction score
Hi geeks, we have just got salon lite but still putting our info on. Many threads seem to be for salon software on here, what things about it do you like most instead of the old app book we are salon based.

Online booking is great but what else makes it better?

Thanks

Glad to hear it (I work for Premier Software, who make Salonlite along with Premier Spa / Style etC) :)

I'm obviously biased, but talking about computer systems in general over a book:

If you lose your book, do you have a copy? Salonlite is stored securely on our servers, and you can make your own backups to Dropbox for extra peace of mind.

In a book, you'll constantly scribble out old info, replace things, tippex appointments out.. which, if your handwriting is anything like mine, can potentially end up in confusion. Won't happen in a computerised system, which will keep things organised and make sure you only book relevant staff.

Not forgetting, once you get used to your software, it's a LOT faster (and, in my opinion, more professional looking) to use a computer.

Happy to answer any questions specific to Salonlite you may by the way :)

ive got outlook, easy pleasy and its back up due to my website/business contract. xoxo

BOTH because your guaranteed that the pc one will go wrong at some stage

Always best to keep hard copy of basic client details and appointment historic appointment bookings and prices charged.

The rest you can afford to loose if it all goes wrong.

I was looking at using salon lite...but I'm not sure it does what I want it to.:sad:

To me, it looks like the client can see when you are free and book in when they want to ( as it has 15min time slots )

Most of the treatments I do are quite long ( 45 mins - 1.30hrs ) So how do I stop clients from booking in all over the place leaving me with unusable gaps?

With most salon program's you can set the length of the treatment. So when clients pick which one they an it knows how to book out.

There must be a software rules you can set for bookings etc

Love having my Salon Iris - Pros - can track clients spending, can see what they purchase, can target specific clients, can send them text messages at touch of a button, can jiggle appointments without a rubber, can access from home, can find clients via phone number name etc (so when they text saying 'Can you fit me in...'I can put phone number into system and find out who the hell they are!!! A lot more professional. Love it....Cons - can't think of any!!!

I was looking at using salon lite...but I'm not sure it does what I want it to.:sad:

To me, it looks like the client can see when you are free and book in when they want to ( as it has 15min time slots )

Not quite - the client will select the time they wish to book along with the staff member (if they want to pick) and the service they want, and Salonlite will tell them if it's available. We wouldn't display your diary publicly :)

Salon software over an appointment book every time. It just makes so many things much easier. Aside from just saving me time it offers a lot of built in features no appointment book ever could. I set up the entire online store portion of my website with SalonBooker's out of box features. I'd never go back to our old fashioned appointment book.

We use salonlite and still have a paper diary.

I prefer salonlite but after a few recent probs (hosting issues I believe) I'm glad we kept a paper diary :)

I have just started using Ovatu. Online and on my ipad & phone.

I cant fault it at present, considering its free for the basic version, and only a few pounds a month for the extra features.

For me, it is important to uphold a professional image, I was spending a lot of time sending reminders, directions, information etc - Ovatu sends an email confirming clients booking, with all the details, and I've personalised with pre treatment advice etc, they then get a reminder by email and SMS. After the appointment they are asked to review, and get another follow up a number of weeks later asking if they are ready to book another appointment.

This also all links through to my Google calender (so even my husband can see if I'm in a treatment before he tries to ring me)

As well as this, I can update my social media, send mass emails with offers, and log all of my sales, discounts, regular no shows etc.

it does have the facility to allow clients to book online, although for me, this does not build enough client rapport and I feel may encourage no-shows, but I'm sure for some this would also help.

The support has been exquisite - the tech has pretty much set it all up for me, and is always there to help replying within a number of hours.

Cant fault it :D

I didn't know about the reviews or asking if they want to rebook - ill need to look at my ovatu more closely today!!!

Hi,

A lot of the benefits have already been mentioned, having a copy of your database backed up that you can also access from home- being able to log into the salon computer from home will mean that if you have a day off you don't have to worry you can dial in and see for yourself everything is running smoothly! You will have easy access to your client data which will allow you to market your business easily with SMS and emails and target specific customers on previous treatments and spend history. It will save time monitoring stock control, and financial reports will enable you to see if there are any areas for improvement in your salon and what technicians/services are making you the most profit. As stated re-book reminders will ensure your appointment book is running efficiently and the list of advantages goes on.

If you have the right software program it will be invaluable to your business!

I think this depends on your business. I am mobile so it is a hell of a lot easier for me to have a diary with me (that I pick up from poundland every year!) and can put in whatever I want. Obviously the extra features are great but I really don't have time to sit there faffing with a whole software package.... I have a spreadsheet with all details, only accessable by me, and if I need to find anything it's really not easy...x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I think this depends on your business. I am mobile so it is a hell of a lot easier for me to have a diary with me

If you're on a phone - m.salonlite.com (if you're on an ipad, even better). We have a lot of very happy mobile therapists signed up due to that feature :)

Ovatu sounds just what I'm looking for! Is it just available in the US though? I'm UK based. Want something with all features but not hundreds of £s as I'm a one man band! Any other ones that have web booking, Sms reminders etc? :)

I can't see any posts that say to help monitor staff, only appointments, that is only just a very small part of their use, these systems are brilliant for monitoring which staff member books what, who amends what, who cancels what, retail values for individual staff or groups, finances, petty cash, accurate daily takings, stock control, stock values, how much individual staff members take on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. ie do they cover their wages, holiday entitlement, sickness days....I won't go on...

Who actually would want an appointment book against computerised software? you can't see any of the above info with a click of a button working with a book....not sure the comments of "you can lose a book" and "what if the computer goes wrong" are even valid points.... just excuses these days. The only difference I can see is in the costs for the software against the price of a book....and some staff members may need a little extra training if they are not used to computers, but for ease of use, instant information, remote access from anywhere in the world and full control I would pay double!

Last edited:
Can you use salon lite successfully on a ipad?

I've currently got the app called my chair and I think it's really good. I've also got client consultation cards and use both.

Can you use salon lite successfully on a ipad?

I've currently got the app called my chair and I think it's really good. I've also got client consultation cards and use both.

Yep, it's one of the devices we targeted when designing Salonlite, so it'll work perfectly :)

Ovatu sounds just what I'm looking for! Is it just available in the US though? I'm UK based. Want something with all features but not hundreds of £s as I'm a one man band! Any other ones that have web booking, Sms reminders etc? :)

I use ovatu, it's great, you can email or print off the daily, weekly or monthly bookings if yr worried it might fail, it has never failed for me as yet. It's actually based in Australia and they still get back to you usually within 24-48 even though the time difference is large. You set the currency, and adapt it for your specific needs.
Ps I'm a one man band too now and this helps me reduce my reception/admin time when I can be earning money seeing clients, I want mine to book online it saves me loads of time. Very very affordable too $10 which equates to about £7 per month. I buy extra SMS for my package which are very reasonable too.

Latest posts

Back