Apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbarian

Reaction score
Hi,

I quit my job to chase a dream of being a hairdresser, I am 23 and I really struggled to get an apprenticeship to the point where I now work for free 3 days a week being taught barbering. It seems to be going really slow and I worry that I enjoy it so much that I'm overlooking the fact I'm not very good at it, I don't know what to do?

P

Hi

Dont worry about your age. I left my old job at 23 because hair was something i had to do. Have you applied to all the salons in your area? Even if it is unpaid for a few weeks? Well done on starting with barbering remember you are learning we all did so please dont tell yourself you are no good at it if you are enjoying it that is half the battle.

Why not do a short hair course while you are looking for a job?

Best of luck x

Hi blondie bear
Yeh I have, alot of them have said they can can pay less for a 16 year old which is disheartening. I also enrolled at college but the course was alveolar because I was the only person to enroll! I'm a few weeks away from losing my house my car everything because nobody will take me for being older, and I have paid the last of my money to start barbering, just starting to think it was a mistake. But your correct I do love it.

Hi, if you cant get an apprenticeship have you maybe thought about doing a part time college course for your hairdressing so you can also work a job to pay for your living expenses? I also noticed that some colleges offer evening courses for hairdressing, this could be another way for you to train as a stylist of an evening and work a job during the day so you still have some money coming in till you qualify!
Oh & dont ever feel like your not good at something when you are learning, keep positive do your best & you will be great!x

Latest posts

Back