Apprenticeship or College?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobermum

Reaction score
I have just had a new student. (I am a dyslexia tutor). She was a very bright girl on the full time Hairdressing Level 2 course. She tells me that she has just been offered an apprenticeship but is scared to take it.

She gets approx 4 hours 'hands on' in college a week. I'm not a hairdresser but it doesn't sound a lot to me.

But she is scared that if she takes the apprenticeship and only attends college once a week she will get 'left behind'. What she means is that the salon where she does her apprenticeship make work slower than her college course. i.e. she may be doing perms or colouring at college but that the salon might not be happy for her to do that yet.

I can only give my opinion on the type of learner she is and the barriers she will face as a dyslexic student. In my opinion (from assessment results etc..) she is much happier as a 'hands on' learner and would benefit from the apprenticeship much more than she would in classroom and simulated salon environment.

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Jane

I am not Dyslexic,however i did full time and apprenticeship (long story lol)

I would recomend the latter,even if they don't want her doing chemical services on their clients,the in salon experince massively out weighs this,plus she will do that at college

She may (?) need extra tuition to help with the theory side,but being dyslexic the college should be providing that already IMO

Hth's x

You don't say how old she is, but if normal collage age, I think there might be a bit of pressure from mum and or dad to stay at collage and get a 'proper' qualification, parents tend not to understand that their kids will still get the qualification coupled with absorbing all the running a business side of things and the variety that only comes with dealing with joe public.I will always come down on the side of a job now so long as they are going to continue to allow her to study, and are not just looking for cheep labour

Thanks ladies....she is 16 and mum and dad are also wary of an apprenticeship.

She would still get dyslexia tuition (from me) even if she comes to college just one day a week.:)

In that case i would recomend it 100%

Maybe she could explain to her parents that she will still acheive the qualification with the added bonus of indusrtial experience and an extra few quid,personally i can't see why they might be wary ???

Hth's x

Latest posts

Back