Apprenticeship or School - I'm nervous!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashley02

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope I am posting in the right area, if not, I apologize.

I have dreamt of being a hair stylist since my very first time in a real, professional salon. I absolutely love doing my own hair, as well as others, and it really is just my dream. However I have about zero confidence when it comes to going to school or getting an apprenticeship. I was offered an apprenticeship once, the owner of the salon said he would "check any openings", but he unfortunately never called back.

So I am wondering if finding another apprenticeship would be worth it, or should I just go to cosmetology school? (I graduated from high school this past June.) And also, how can I get over my nervousness! Really, I just feel very intimidated. There is so much to learn, and I know close to nothing! I guess I'm just worried I won't be able to do it right, or I won't be any good!

Thank you for your time!

Nobody is born knowing how to do hair. It is a skill we learn, similar to learning how to read and write.
You really have nothing to worry about as nobody starting out has more knowledge than you.
In the UK, apprentiship is by far the superior way to become a hairdresser, but I don't know what it is like in the US. It is more important to be interested, have passion for and a comitment to the industry than anything else at this stage.
Best of luck, and I hope to be welcoming you to our industry soon x

Hi Ashley!

If I was given the choice I would take an apprenticeship any day! I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it when I had the chance. I'm too old to get an apprenticeship now, so I'm studying hairdressing part time, and working in a salon once a week (unpaid) to gain some valuable experience. I know I'm going to have to work extremely hard to prove myself as there is a lot of competition out there, and this is something I really want to do.

Try not to worry too much about being bad or good at it. I don't know how well I am going to do with it. I don't think anyone should ever been seen as 'bad', just someone who has a to work a little harder to get things right! I may, or may not be someone who has a natural flair for hairdressing, great if I am, it will make things a little easier, but hey, if I'm not a natural then I will just have to really knuckle down down and put the extra effort in to get good!!

Be persistent, salon owners are very, very busy people! If they don;t call you back whn they say they will call them, it might just be that they have forgotten or something. Ask every single salon! If all else fails then go to school, don;t give up! It won't be easy, but dreams are worth working for aren't they :)

Good luck!!

Camille x

An apprenticeship is a great way to learn the trade.

If you do decide to pursue the apprenticeship make sure you are going to get plenty of in salon trainin.

When I done my apprenticeship I was in a really busy salon 5days and once a fortnight in college. We had no training nights, wernt allowed to take models in, or stand and watch when we were quiet.
So I qualified and started workin as a stylist with zero confidence, and with very little knowledge. But really that is my own fault as I didn't ask questions regarding how much training I would get at my initial interview.

It is hard work, and sometimes you feel like a dogs body but if you have the opportunity to do an apprenticeship in a good salon that will do plenty of trainin with you and you really want it then it will be the best thing you have done.
Good luck xx :hug:

Latest posts

Back