APW Glands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager beaver

Reaction score
What are the two types of glands found in the dermis, and how do they differ?

What are the two types of glands found in the dermis, and how do they differ?

OK heres my guess:

Sebaceous Gland - produces sebum ( secreted through a hair folicle) lubricates and softens the skin and hair.
Sweat glands - regulate body temperature through evaperation of sweat through the skin.

Am I right?

That is correct, but i maent to say what are the two types of sweat glands and how they differ, doh!

That is correct, but i maent to say what are the two types of sweat glands and how they differ, doh!

Oh - err - hang on a min while I get my book out :lol: getting abit more complicated now :lol:

i came up with three glands in the dermis

sweat gland which are eccrine glands

Eccrine sweat glands are distributed over the entire body surface but are particularly abundant on the palms of hands, soles of feet, and on the forehead. These produce sweat that is composed chiefly of water with various salts. These glands are used for body temperature regulation.

Appocrine glands
Apocrinesweatglands develop during the early to mid puberty ages approximately around the age of 15 and release more than normal amounts of sweat for approximately a month and subsequently regulate and release normal amounts of sweat after a certain period of time. They are located wherever there is body hair.
These glands produce sweat that contains fatty materials. Mainly present in the armpits and around the gential area, their activity is the main cause of sweat odor, due to the bacteria that break down the organic compounds in the sweat

Sebacecous glands
these secrete oily substance called sebum
this is made of fat and debris of dead fat producing cells these glands are found through the skin except in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.

hth

Eccrine glands - over most parts of the body - respond to heat to maintain body temperature

Apocrine glands - found in armpit, nipples and groin areas. Controlled by hormones.

(thanks Lorraine Nordmann) :lol:

yes, apocrine glands are found in the underarm and groin regions, ans secrete a milky substance composed of fats which secrete an odour when on the skin. They can be stimulated by arousal also.

There are three glands in the dermis, but i was meant to have asked for the two sweat glands.

Oey, i sent the last one whilst you were still replying - sorry.
Well done xx

Latest posts

Back