APW The onychodermal band....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Jay

Reaction score
And no it's not a 1970's funk band!!! :lol::lol:

The onychodermal band - what is it's function?

And no it's not a 1970's funk band!!! :lol::lol:

The onychodermal band - what is it's function?

It is the protective seal under the free edge - to prevent organisms etc from getting through.

sorry if iam being thick but do you mean the hyponichium?
dont shout at me if not, iam having a bad day!!!!!!!:cry:

Taken from my bible LOL:

the farthest distal edge of the nail unit is the hyponichium....... The hyponichium forms a watertight seal that prevents bacteria, fungi, viruses etc. from attacking the nail bed. Care should also be taken to protect the hyponichium. Damage to this area can breach the seal created by the onychodermal band.

The hyponichium is one of the guardians and is found underneath the free edge, it's function is to act as a seal, to stop any pathogens entering the nail bed.:)

HTH

Fiona !!!
Beat me to it!

Thanks for clearing that up for me!:hug:

The onychodermal band is a small area where the bed epithelium passes off the nailbed and becomes the solehorn, it is basicaly bunched up tissue that creates a protective seal under the free edge of the nailplate..It has a waxy grayish, almost glass looking appearance and stretches across the entire width of the nailplate.
HTH

Everytime I put on a new set of Brisa Enhancements my Onychodermal Band becomes very visible for a couple of days!!!

Latest posts

Back