Are freebies really freebies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby S

Reaction score
I received a massive parcel today addressed to the salon, without my name on it, from a perfume company. I have no idea who the company is and I have certainly never been in touch with them about sending me samples etc. It is totally out of the blue. The thing is, its not just a brochure with some normal sized samples in an envelope (I get these fairly regularly), it is a tester stand with 4 full sized bottles of perfume and 20 tester sizes!! All different scents, and actually quite nice... I'm just after some advice on whether this is a normal thing to do?? I'm worried that if I don't send them back to someone that they will assume I'm interested in stocking them and maybe send more or charge me for these ones?? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Ooh there has been a post on this a while ago- I think it was on the hair forum. A few salons had the exact same experience, a big box of free perfume arriving out of the blue.

I think a couple of girls did get a phone call a few days later with an explination but the jist was these are cheap perfumes that smell like branded ones (dior, alien, marc jacobs, poision etc) & the company is hoping you/your clients like them enough to buy more of them & retail them. The initial box of perfume was actually free.

The way the company went about it & the fact the perfumes are sold at a lot of bootsales (two for a tenna.. 3 for fifteen quid ) got ppls backs up & there were mixed reviews.

Have a search on here, the original post might pop up xx

If it’s the same company that has all the people selling the same products on Facebook for the company (sounds like it is) then you won’t get any decent retail money for them.

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better that I'm not getting slapped with a bill for them! I'll wait for the phone call I guess. Was actually thinking that I'm planning a hen party soon and they would be good to put in goody bags ;) Agree with others that I don't want to sell knock off stuff in the salon... Thanks for your replies. x

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better that I'm not getting slapped with a bill for them! I'll wait for the phone call I guess. Was actually thinking that I'm planning a hen party soon and they would be good to put in goody bags ;) Agree with others that I don't want to sell knock off stuff in the salon... Thanks for your replies. x
Might as well mention my hen party business then! - https://simplyhen.co.uk :)

lol we had this parcel too
i was so confused opening it but was kind of expecting it after reading about them on here
not bad for handbag perfumes day time use when you want to be bouji on a budget
wasn't going to order them in initially but when i left the box out and clients were like whats this and they had a go i ordered them in and nearly all of them have gone now
would i order them again.... probably, depends how much interest people have in them, am not going out of my way to advertise them though

Latest posts

Back