Are you offering a cut-price Christmas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
This festive season has seen the high street littered with discounts and special offers in a way that makes it look more like the January sales than the biggest shopping month of the year. The current financial climate means that every retailer is desperate to get the few pennies that we have left stashed away in their cash register and they are using big, bright, shiny offers to do it.

My inbox has been stuffed to the brim with various salons emailing me with amazing deals on a range of treatments. Some of these are big national chains, but some of these are small independently owned salons. It seems that, whatever you're selling, someone is trying to offer you a cut-price Christmas.

I want to know how all you Geeks feel about this. Offering great savings to clients is often easier if you're a national chain and if big businesses are doing this, it can often have a negative effect on smaller, independently owned salons. Of course, there is a certain loyalty between client and professional but can we blame anyone for wanting to save some pennies in this day and age?

What are you offering your clients for Christmas? Special offers? Mince pies? Loyalty rewards? Champagne? A smile and a hug? We want to know how you're faring in the run up to Christmas. It is a time for sharing and caring so if you've got something that's working and bringing the people in, then let us know.

Until then...geek on.

The Ed.

Attachments

• christmas.jpg
    christmas.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 647
I hold strongly to the rule "No discounts at Christmas." We're slammed at Christmas. I'm booked solid straight through.

I can understand if a salon is struggling to book, but if not, it just doesn't make good business sense.

i'm taking a deep breath and steadying myself for the next 5 10 hour days booked out back to back and not an offer in sight.... January is just around the corner... so we may take it when we're getting it.!!

i'm taking a deep breath and steadying myself for the next 5 10 hour days booked out back to back and not an offer in sight.... January is just around the corner... so we may take it when we're getting it.!!

I 2nd that. Although I am finding that the christmas rush starts later and later each year now.
Last year we were mad for the last 3 weeks of dec this years it's been more like the last 2 weeks.....

I agree. In the past, I've gotten busy starting right after our Thankgsgiving holiday here in the States the last week of November. That didnt happen this year.

We just got busy last week. So you're right...the last two weeks before Christmas. We're filling up the week leading up to New Year's, too.

I'm booked solid this week (first time in a short while) and no, I haven't any xmas discounts going on.

Although, I will likely hold specials in January when folks get their Credit card statements from Dec, and have a tendency to cxl or push back their appointments.

Not the wisest perhaps... but the economy stinks and personally knowing several people that have been laid off or facing a layoff and losing their jobs.... Lost a few clients already because their work-hours were cut.

You know what's always first to go -luxuries, and that's us.

I 2nd that. Although I am finding that the christmas rush starts later and later each year now.
Last year we were mad for the last 3 weeks of dec this years it's been more like the last 2 weeks.....

DITTO I used to be booked solid the full month....
Raised my prices last year, well above locals...
Ah well, it is what it is.

I do not agree with discounting in our busiest time as it doesn't make sense, however with the big retailers doing it constantly people are beginning to expect it.

I wanted a new handbag for xmas from House of Fraser. I saw the one i wanted but rather than buying there and then I waited because I knew there would be a spectacular on soon, and I was right and saved myself £20!

I am beginning to think that is what clients are doing...holding out for that deal.

We are a new salon been open 6 months. Nice and busy this week. And then the salon down the road goes and slams loads of offers on! Instead we are giving £5.00 vouchers to be used in January.

Latest posts

Back