Are you scared of the dentist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reviving this thread because I have to have 3 fillings (not too bothered about those) and a wisdom tooth removed.

Now when I say Im scared that is a huge understatement! I am petrified and I cant calm myself down, I have IBS and its gotten soo much worse since knowing I have to have this, it will be just under local anasthetic and I really dont think I can bare the thoughts of lying there awake while my mouth is being pulled out of and hearing the cracking noises aghhhhh!

Almost having a panick attack just writing this! Can anybody pleeeeease reassure me?

You could always ask for laughing gas as well as your anaesthetic. It's great and you'll be so out of it you won't pay any attention to what's happening in your mouth. Or you can ask to be sedated, that's where you are awake but very drugged up and you won't remember the procedure afterwards. I go under general because I'm a needle phobe but there's lots of options available if you ask. :)

You could always ask for laughing gas as well as your anaesthetic. It's great and you'll be so out of it you won't pay any attention to what's happening in your mouth. Or you can ask to be sedated, that's where you are awake but very drugged up and you won't remember the procedure afterwards. I go under general because I'm a needle phobe but there's lots of options available if you ask. :)

I asked if I could be put out or even sedated, and he said I could but it would cost more and make it a bigger deal than necessary as he can have it out within 12 minutes no problem, I cant even take a Xanax :(

It's more effort for your dentist but if it gives you peace of mind it's worth it.

I'm not scared of the dentist. I am terrified of injections though. Have to go tomorrow cause I have a mouth full of ulcers... Like FULL. I stopped counting at twenty. Can't eat or hardly talk. Dreading it.

I'm not scared of the dentist. I am terrified of injections though. Have to go tomorrow cause I have a mouth full of ulcers... Like FULL. I stopped counting at twenty. Can't eat or hardly talk. Dreading it.

Oh my god I really feel for you, I got about 6 after an operation and they were so so so painful I could hardly eat or drink, I cant imagine 20. Just think how much better off you will be after tomorrow and best of luck xx

Im a qualified dental nurse and I don't mind going to the dentist. I recommend sedation if you are nervous, it puts you and the dentist at ease. Its quite hard work for the dentist to work on a nervous patient. If your dentist knows about you being nervous he should book a longer appointment so he can take his time and make sure you are comfortable and explain the procedure to you. Any questions you want to ask me and I know the answer feel free to ask x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I did it! Got the wisdom tooth out, no sedation and no big deal at all!

Because it was it of the gum it only took him about 7 seconds to get it out I was so shocked! The filling took much longer. Have been keeping on too of my painkillers & its been fine :) x

Because it was it of the gum it only took him about 7 seconds to get it out I was so shocked! The filling took much longer. Have been keeping on too of my painkillers & its been fine :) x

Well done :) x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

The idea of paying someone to inflict pain on me just doesn't make sense...

Got 4 wisdom teeth out 7 yrs ago...I was knocked out for the op so that was great lol hvnt been to dentist since;-/ very bad! Recently went as support to a friend...he had a toothache n they took his tooth out, there Nd then! in 10 mins, he was awake and felt nothing! I couldn't believe it! When I went yrs ago...it took forever lol

Wow I'm in awe of you well done :)
I need to be sedated to have anything like that done :(
In fact I should of been sedated and had a tooth out today but I got there and the dental nurse came up to me in the waiting room and just said we won't be able to do your sedation today!
I bawled my eyes out because id got so worked up for it to realise that I'd have to wait longer to have it done.
Turns out they should of booked me in for another assessment beforehand 😦

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow I'm in awe of you well done :)
I need to be sedated to have anything like that done :(
In fact I should of been sedated and had a tooth out today but I got there and the dental nurse came up to me in the waiting room and just said we won't be able to do your sedation today!
I bawled my eyes out because id got so worked up for it to realise that I'd have to wait longer to have it done.
Turns out they should of booked me in for another assessment beforehand 😦

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Awh thanks! I was so worked up I was sick all weekend but when he said "thats it" I couldn't believe it! I also begged for sedation but he kept saying "I promise you wont need it" and I wouldn't believe him but he was so right, literally took about 5 seconds and I was listening to my headphones so I was distracted!

Ah thats so annoying when you are geared up for something to be let down and have to prepare for it all over again! But believe me, It will be over before you know it and you will be happy then you can just walk out :) x

Awh thanks! I was so worked up I was sick all weekend but when he said "thats it" I couldn't believe it! I also begged for sedation but he kept saying "I promise you wont need it" and I wouldn't believe him but he was so right, literally took about 5 seconds and I was listening to my headphones so I was distracted!

Ah thats so annoying when you are geared up for something to be let down and have to prepare for it all over again! But believe me, It will be over before you know it and you will be happy then you can just walk out :) x

Well done xxx

Oh my god I really feel for you, I got about 6 after an operation and they were so so so painful I could hardly eat or drink, I cant imagine 20. Just think how much better off you will be after tomorrow and best of luck xx

Thanks. I'm in so so much pain. They said they can't do much about the actual ulcers, but they did give me some stuff to help the swelling and the antibiotics have cleared up the infected taste that was in my mouth so at the moment dentists are my friend.

Latest posts

Back