Argos UV Gel & Acrylic kits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I was flicking through the Argos catalogue the other day.

You can buy acrylic and uv gel kits through Argos!!!! WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT AT ALL!!!! :irked:

Is it just me or is that WRONG?!?!?!?!?!

I've only recently started doing my nails course and I *KNOW* how difficult it is. Doing nails is a SKILL which takes time and effort to learn and more time and effort to perfect! It just seems incredibly odd to me that you could just pop to Argos and get yourself an acrylic or uv gel kit!

Has the world gone mad... or is it just me???!? :lol:

Hun these kits have been around for ages ... there's even a laser one :eek: ! It's no difference to home dye hair kits - we all know that a Pro job is better because the products are better and done by someone trained to use them. It's when you get people using the Argos kits with no training and starting a nail business that is the problem, thankfully it's quite rare - people realise they are for home use, or it spraks a passion in nails to take the plunge into professional training.

The home job kits have been over here for ages. Look at it like hairdressers do.....they think they are saving money but in the long run it will cost them more to come in and have you fix it. I aways charged more to someone that had tried to do it themselves, because I aways had to soak off the mess and start again.

I know it's a tick off that people can buy stuff but remember what they are buying in the store is NOT the same product that we use. The store bought L&P actually makes our L&P soft!!! I have seen it do this. There will always be the "at home" kits for people to buy hair dye, nails, waxing, paraffin dips, you name it and it's out there. They'll buy these kits and screw up their hair, nails and lord only knows what else and come to us to fix it because we are the professionals.

SC

The home job kits have been over here for ages. Look at it like hairdressers do.....they think they are saving money but in the long run it will cost them more to come in and have you fix it. I aways charged more to someone that had tried to do it themselves, because I aways had to soak off the mess and start again.

They'll buy these kits and screw up their hair, nails and lord only knows what else and come to us to fix it because we are the professionals.

SC
YEP!!!
Look at Sally's.. They claim they don't sell, color, perms, acrylic nail supplies to the public and unlicensed, only shampooo and conditoner, but i have actually been in the store and saw this happen. I do buy their nail files because they have a larger selection to chose from.
When you get a client who tried to do it themselves,up your price and charge for the correction.
Nobody can do their own nails like a Nail tech that has been properly trained. But forever and the day, we will get those who Think they can until proven otherwise.
Diversion..isn't it a wonderful thing...:mad:

It really does strike me as quite amazing tho that someone with no training and no idea how to use these (potentially) dangerous chemicals.

I admit that I was a bit naughty before I started my course and bought the remains of a friend's nail kit after she'd stopped doing her nail course (thinking that I'd be able to get plenty practice using her products as I started my course). And you know what? I've never used them! I was so scared of doing something terribly wrong with these chemicals that I couldn't even bring myself to open them until I had a large amount of knowledge under my belt.

Perhaps I'm just the exception rather than the rule tho...

YEP!!!
Look at Sally's.. They claim they don't sell, color, perms, acrylic nail supplies to the public and unlicensed, only shampooo and conditoner, but i have actually been in the store and saw this happen. I do buy their nail files because they have a larger selection to chose from.
When you get a client who tried to do it themselves,up your price and charge for the correction.
Nobody can do their own nails like a Nail tech that has been properly trained. But forever and the day, we will get those who Think they can until proven otherwise.
Diversion..isn't it a wonderful thing...:mad:
Yep I have done this.:eek::eek: and I was shocked.. I joined with them using my cert. for nails and manis.. I went in a couple of weeks later and brought a perm lotion and colour, cos my friend (who is trained in hair) was doing my hair for me and I lived closer to sally,s than she did, so I offered to pick them up (if I could) and yes I could without any probs at all, not even a little quiz from the assistant:eek::eek::eek: I was really shocked at this as they needed profe of qualifacation to join but not when I brought something strange:eek:

You can also buy hair-color, "permanent curls" etc.. everywhere.... The haridressers still have a lot to do! :)

I love these kits they keep me in clients who have messed up with them :)

It's when you get people using the Argos kits with no training and starting a nail business that is the problem.

yeah even more so when they are stepping on my patch!!!! xxx:mad: :mad:

i remember wen boots sold nailine white tip n dip acrylic....

i remember wen boots sold nailine white tip n dip acrylic....

You have just reminded me that Nailine (or similar) do sell all sorts of enhancement kits, in Boots, Asda etc, as do Revlon!:eek:

Although I have to admit too that years ago, after having my nails done for about 3 years, I found a trade supplier near me, and waltzed in there, bought all the same products that were used on me, went home and did my nails! They were good too, but I did then decided to go and take the course anyway, so that I was clear on what I was doing and so that I could get insurance etc.

However, that was with silks,and I had been watching the application regularly over 3 years... if anyone had shown me L&P or gel I dont think I would have dared.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. I just concentrate on my work and doing the best nails I can by constantly learning, trying new techniques and gathering as much information as I can on how to be a great nail tech.

I once bought a Boots kit (for myself), before I was trained and did a pretty good job, except that they lifted after about 5 days 'cause I didn't know the prep :eek: and that's what set me about wanting to learn properly.

When I see these kits I just have a smile to myself and wonder what a mess these folk are going to make of their nails and know that they'll soon give up when they realise what hard work it is anyway!

Latest posts

Back