At my height of flusteration - any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NICOLEOSBORNE

Reaction score
:cry:
Hi All,
Well I am a newbie and have invested about 20 Thousand dollars into my home to do nails, I have the perfect set up, not really having a problem attracting clients as my main competition around my area are all chop shops (not trying to be rude). My issue is not about money spent or money not being earned, but trying to figure out if I will ever be good at this.

I did go school, I have many, many training cds, and books. I am trying to perfect Gel as Acrylic is not very popular. I am scheduled to take further training next month by OPI. The product I choose is OPI Axxium. At this point I don't want to blame the product but things just don't seem to be getting easier.

I have training videos by OPI, they are also available on line - O.P.I. Videos

1 - Prep nails as normal
2 - Apply Gel Base and Cure
3 - Apply smile line and cure
4 - Build Apex and Cure
5 - Apply Zone 3 and Cure
6 - Remove residue and file ect
7 - Apply Gel Top Coat and cure

I have tried to mimic the video, I have watched and read anything I can get my hands on, however it just does not seem to be getting easier or quicker. Where am I going wrong - is there a point when you admit defeat or how long does this take to master. Any suggestions good bad or otherwise, I appreciate all feedback - thanks for you time!

My advice is - never give up! If you have the passion to do nails, you can do it. Its not a talent like singing (I for one will never ever be able to sing) but it is all to do with practise, training and more practise.
Some people pick it up easier than others, but in the end, if you have the passion and the drive you will get there.

1 to 1 training will definately help you. Some things you just can't learn from a DVD or book, and all the practise in the world wouldn't be very good if you weren't doing it right in the first place.

Good luck with your home business, id love to see some pics of your set up if you have any?

Thanks so much for your response, yes I agree I have to keep trying, I will try to load pictures but not sure how to on this site am going to go investigate

Figured out how to load pictures under my profile, could not load them all just 3, but will give you a general idea. May I ask what gel you use?

Wow your salon looks great!! I love the wall display for the polishes, and the colour on the walls is very calming and relaxing.

I don't use gel, I use L&P. I passed my gel certificate with a certain company, but they refuse to give it to me due to a relationship breakdown with the college I went to (like thats my fault :rolleyes:). So ill probably wait till I have a bigger client base and then do training with gel with a company who will actually give me my certs.

I now use Young Nails L&P products, they are fab to use and not as expensive as a lot of the bigger name brands. I'll possibly look into their gel when it comes to that time.

What actual problems are you having?

When you say prep as usual, what is your prep routine?

Did your school course cover gel or are you trying to learn from a video.

I think you should give yourself a break until you do your course because you might stress yourself out so much that you will give up. Armed with your issues your tutor should be able to guide and help you.

Many people will say practice makes perfect, but practice makes permanent - perfect practice makes perfect.

If you are constantly practicing incorrect techniques then you will keep getting what you have got.

Hope that helps.

Thanks ladies - I appreciate your comments!
My ususal prep is Pushing back & cleaning up cuticles and nails plates, taking off the shiny layer, removing dust and debris & applying ph balancers.

I don't seem to be having really any problems with lifting or breaking, so far I have only had 1 crack and that was on my mom, who cleans for a living and is very hard on her hands. However with that being said I have had a few clients that I have never seen again, so who knows what has happened to them.

I have taken training, yep it was terrible training. However I am scheduled to take more. I think my biggest problem is time & product, lastnight I did a rebalance and it took me 2 hours and in my opinion looked like garbage!

Everyone say's that I am to hard on myself, but part of learning is admitting when you feel like you don't have something nailed down!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of gel do you use?:rolleyes:

Hi. I use Brisa and I have been trying some other accessory products. I had to learn on my own as there are no classes being offered in my area. But as soon as the opportunity presents itself I will go for more training. I applied gels to myself and just keep working on problems as they come up. It sounds to me like you may be trying too hard. We all want to be the best we can be but sometimes we get so obsessed with the idea of perfect results that we undermine our ability to succeed. Take a break.
If you have people who don't come back it may have nothing to do with you or the quality of your service. We all have people who don't come back. There are lots of reasons. Continuing education and practice are always good and asking for help with problems is good,too. Don't worry about time for now. You will get faster with practice. It takes me longer with gels because of curing time. Plus the fact that even with lots of years of experience with enhancements I am a newbie with gels. If your self confidence is low then it will take you longer because you are watching everything you do! Relax a little. Take a deep breath! You are probably doing better than you think you are. Continue to be conscientious and to care about the quality of your work but be sure you are not your own stumbling block. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back