Back to basics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiv5953

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!
Ive done a search and nothing this basic has come up.
Im only qualified in nails so havent a clue but im after a new range of make-up basics!
Things i can just pop into boots or debenhams and buy that dont cost a fortune but work. Things like concealer, primer, foundation, blusher, etc things that really are essential and not just going to sit in my make up bag.
I realise that some things you may suggest may not suit me but pointing me in the right direction would be a massive help as i really am clueless :)
Thank you! X

Hellooo Shiv! Would these be for your own personal use? x

Yeah purely for personal use.
Ive just had my second baby 3months ago and need a pick me up :) x

Aww congrats :D We all get to the point when we need a refresher haha!

There are a few good high street brands including Bourjois, Rimmel, Maxfactor which you could look into! Also the Body Shop have a great makeup range with some beautiful eyeshadows, No7 are good for base products like primer, foundation and concealer.
Do you have any problem areas? If you do I'd recommend splurging on that area, for instance I have bad skin & I know that if I get a foundation from a high-street brand it just is not sufficient enough to cover my pigmentation/scarring whilst holding up against oil & wear so it's worth saving the pounds from a mascara for instance to put towards foundation (or whatever you need the most).

What products are you using now? What skin type are you? Do you know what tone you are too? how much coverage are you looking for in your foundation/ concealer? Are you just looking for brand suggestions or product suggestions? :) had my second baby 10 months ago and I spend most if my time concealing my bags under my eyes!!xxx

Thank you!
I have pretty normal skin, i use simple face products - wipes toner moisturiser & face wash.
atm i only really use mascara (rimmel) but i look very plain and drained. Concealing my bags is the biggest problem! The only thing i use that i love is a No7 foundation but i only wear it when i go out.
Really i could do with a list of basic products then brand recommendations for them?
Ive got eye shadows, liners & lipglosses but its the base things that i havent a clue about xx

How about switching to a tinted moisturiser?
Your routine would not take any longer, but it would brighten and illuminate. x

How about switching to a tinted moisturiser?
Your routine would not take any longer, but it would brighten and illuminate. x

Thank you hadnt even thought of doin that' x

There are some really good products that hide all sorts of sins :) In my opinion, my favourite concealer is double wear from Estée Lauder, you can use this on its own or over foundation. It covers dark circles really well. Another product is the touché éclat (the original and by far the best!) it is very versatile - you can use it on its own or over concealer - just use it near the corner of your eyes to brighten eyes, it can illuminate creases if used to far round the outer eye. It's also good to use on the bow of your top lip, around you nostrils and under your brows. No. 7 do a version, but there is an ingredient in it that disagrees with my skin. Benefit to an eye bright pencil for concealing dark circles, this is quite good too. I would also like to recommend Clinique - all about eyes, eye cream, not overly expensive but really good for your whole eye area. Also, have you considered a BB cream, they became popular in the UK in 2012 - they are a multitasking product, slightly more coverage than a tinted moisturiser xxx

There are some really good products that hide all sorts of sins :) In my opinion, my favourite concealer is double wear from Estée Lauder, you can use this on its own or over foundation. It covers dark circles really well. Another product is the touché éclat (the original and by far the best!) it is very versatile - you can use it on its own or over concealer - just use it near the corner of your eyes to brighten eyes, it can illuminate creases if used to far round the outer eye. It's also good to use on the bow of your top lip, around you nostrils and under your brows. No. 7 do a version, but there is an ingredient in it that disagrees with my skin. Benefit to an eye bright pencil for concealing dark circles, this is quite good too. I would also like to recommend Clinique - all about eyes, eye cream, not overly expensive but really good for your whole eye area. Also, have you considered a BB cream, they became popular in the UK in 2012 - they are a multitasking product, slightly more coverage than a tinted moisturiser xxx

Brilliant thank you!
Heard of BB creams so ill have a shop about for one that suits me.

So for basics does every one use
Concealer
Primer
Foundation
Blusher
Highlighter
Eye liner
mascara
Brow powder/pencil
Eyeshadows
Lipgloss/stick
Lip liner

Anything I'm missing? Just had a quick look on a few beauty blogs and got this list. X

Aww congrats :D We all get to the point when we need a refresher haha!

There are a few good high street brands including Bourjois, Rimmel, Maxfactor which you could look into! Also the Body Shop have a great makeup range with some beautiful eyeshadows, No7 are good for base products like primer, foundation and concealer.
Do you have any problem areas? If you do I'd recommend splurging on that area, for instance I have bad skin & I know that if I get a foundation from a high-street brand it just is not sufficient enough to cover my pigmentation/scarring whilst holding up against oil & wear so it's worth saving the pounds from a mascara for instance to put towards foundation (or whatever you need the most).

Thats fab then! i do like No7 foundation so will have a look at the concealers ect
Thank you x

Think that list is your basics covered.. (With a bb cream, it should work as a moisturiser, primer and foundation) Couple of other things worth looking at investing in - Benefit eyeshadow cream in strut, great for creating simple smokey eyes, the brush that is designed to go with it that they sell is good to. Ysl shocking eyeliner pen, great for 60s looks, loreal do a good liquid liner pen too and gel liners, bobby brown in sepia, great for more natural looks! Hope you get lots of nice stuff - love shopping for make up :) xxx

Think that list is your basics covered.. (With a bb cream, it should work as a moisturiser, primer and foundation) Couple of other things worth looking at investing in - Benefit eyeshadow cream in strut, great for creating simple smokey eyes, the brush that is designed to go with it that they sell is good to. Ysl shocking eyeliner pen, great for 60s looks, loreal do a good liquid liner pen too and gel liners, bobby brown in sepia, great for more natural looks! Hope you get lots of nice stuff - love shopping for make up :) xxx

Thank you so much! I will im sure then trying it all out when i get it ;)

No7 actually have their discount vouchers out at the moment! So good time to buy from them, also 3 for 2. I like their blusher and concealor (like a budget version of touche eclait). I cant wear their foundation as it doesnt go pale enough for me :lol: but their mascara and lip gloss is ok too :)

No7 actually have their discount vouchers out at the moment! So good time to buy from them, also 3 for 2. I like their blusher and concealor (like a budget version of touche eclait). I cant wear their foundation as it doesnt go pale enough for me :lol: but their mascara and lip gloss is ok too :)

Oh do they! I need a few buts so hopefully ill get a voucher and can find something that suits! Xx

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, been to my local Boots No7 counter and got a under eye concealer, BB cream and blusher :) the assistant applied it all in the shop so i know what to do and what its like and i looked liked i hadnt missed a night sleeps EVER! (2 kids so ive missed a fair few)
So after this achievement i treated myself to their lash 40 intense volume eye lashes :)
Just on the look out for a good brow kit now! X

Latest posts

Back