Bacterial Infection - from Hair Extensions???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

* Helen *

Reaction score
I'm actually quite embarrased about posting this, but here i go :o

I had my hair extensions fitted in January by a lady who had a home salon, I went back 6 weeks later for the maintenance appointment which was fine. I had appointment to go back for removal 2 weeks ago, when I rang to confirm the appointment she never answered my calls, texts & her website is now unavailable.

I had the removed yesterday & I was told (I have photo's which I will try & upload) that my own hair had fallen out with the bond still attached, the bonds were very thick so I thought maybe this was down to them being too heavy for my hair (I have very fine hair), the bonds were attached to hair that was matted. But when we was washing & blow drying my hair, we noticed some red sores on my scalp. I went to see a doctor as we thought it was ring worm, as that what it looks like, but the doctor said it was a bacterial infection & have been perscribed some cream.

What I was wondering was if the infection was caused by the extensions. I showed another hair extensionist & she has never seen anything like it. Where the sores are, the bonds were VERY close together. My scalp is also very dry, which I was told would be by the extensions, but what I was thinking was as the bonds were so close together, my scalp wasnt being cleaned as it should be causing the infection.

Ive never had any scalp related problems previously, so its quite miffed me really :(

If anyone has seen or know, or if my assumptions are correct, I'd be greatful.

Thank you :D

If the sections are done badly, and hairs are pulled across into the bonds, it can cause not only traction hair loss, but also a form of folliculitis which is infection within follicles.

This presents as itchy red, raised spots on the scalp. It clears up pretty quick when the ext are removed.

If you have fine hair, the ext should be applied small, but lots of them, and perfectly sectioned to avoid stress on the hair. x

It sounds like tension spots. They can be caused by incorrectly fitted extensions, extensions that have been constantly 'ponytailed' or extensions that have been in too long. Also, some people are just prone to them. I have one client who always got them, in the same place, no matter how I fitted them.

You probably got any infection if you itched it, as the skin can break easily on these spots and our hands are a hive of germs!

When you remove ext. you would always expect to see some of the natural hair still in the bond, as we all lose between 50 and 100 hairs a day and when the hair is trapped in a bond that hair loss has nowhere to go. The longer your extensions are in, the more hairs you would expect to see in the bond as the support structure gets weaker, those hair matt with the hairs still attached to the scalp and can cause hair loss and tension spots. It is hard to judge online but on fine haired clients I wouldn't expect to have the ext. in longer than 10 weeks, on some 8. If you had them fitted in January then they have been in too long and may be the cause of your troubles.

Hope this is useful. :)

Yes it does explain it further, thank you both :hug:

I have put a phot in my gallery on my profile of one of the sores as the photo is too large to put onto the thread ...

From your photograph (please not that I am not a doctor!) it does look like a fungal infection like ringworm, it is easily caught and easy to get rid of, may be not directly related to your extentions but may they caused an irritation that you may have scratched and caught the infection, did your doctor give you some cream and a special skin wash,

I looked at the picture and it is a tension spot. :)

Donna's right. Looks like a tension spot to me too.

Latest posts

Back