Bad grey coverage-Affinage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piersstanaway

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ive been using Affinage for a while and it has its great shades such as coffee shop and reds. But grey coverage is a nightmare. I understand the instructions of using 3% and 1:1 when its resistant and the appropriate shades e.g double bases and the .01 range. But honestly ive had clients with like a level 6 and high percent of grey and i need a 9 level result. using 3% is hopeless i need lift of 20vol and grey coverage as well. Basically i find im liking affinage less and less these days as im sitting clients down after rinsing to see very translucent grey coverage!
Any tips affinage stylist???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've a client with very resistant grey hair around the front hairline, I normally do 7.00, but did go a shade darker at front.
When washed it off it was still very translucent , would like to know whats best also :)

I hope I don't get a bashing for suggesting this lol, but I'd use 30vol for lifting a 6 base to a 9, it's 3 levels there's no way 3% could lift and cover grey? In the past for resistant grey I've put neat (example) 9.0 on the resistant area then wait 5 mins and put 9.0 with 30vol on top, I don't use affinage but this has worked for me with a few different brands x

I think affinage is great for everything except grey coverage. Im lucky no clients have complained yet. I think il stock koleston double bases for the resistant clients :)

Hi everyone,
Ive been using Affinage for a while and it has its great shades such as coffee shop and reds. But grey coverage is a nightmare. I understand the instructions of using 3% and 1:1 when its resistant and the appropriate shades e.g double bases and the .01 range. But honestly ive had clients with like a level 6 and high percent of grey and i need a 9 level result. using 3% is hopeless i need lift of 20vol and grey coverage as well. Basically i find im liking affinage less and less these days as im sitting clients down after rinsing to see very translucent grey coverage!
Any tips affinage stylist???

I don't think there is a brand that lifts 3 levels with 6%.

Even if you put a 9 on with 6% you may get an 8 on the darker parts.

I think the 3% rule would be use with covering white not lifting and covering white.

I hope I don't get a bashing for suggesting this lol, but I'd use 30vol for lifting a 6 base to a 9, it's 3 levels there's no way 3% could lift and cover grey? In the past for resistant grey I've put neat (example) 9.0 on the resistant area then wait 5 mins and put 9.0 with 30vol on top, I don't use affinage but this has worked for me with a few different brands x

Using neat or neat tint and water is like pre softening :)

I find doing 20vol with either half normal base for fine grey hair or double base for resistant grey hair to what ever colour I choose with either a disposable shower cap (processing for 30min or my climazone for 20min and then 5min without heat.

Latest posts

Back