Bad lifting with gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couper

Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently used Pronail on my first client and after 4 days I got a call to tell me she had really bad lifting at the free edge. Almost all of the nails had lifted, the client informed me that the lifting always began at the corners of the free edge and spread from there.
Can anyone suggest what can cause such bad lifting in this area?

It sounds to me like you arent capping the free edge properly- When you apply the gel, make sure you lightly rin the free edge with it, and this should stop :)

Thank you for your reply, this has been suggested to me before. do you need to cap the free edge with all 3 layers of gel (if doing a french for instance) or just the sealer layer?

If you did a french white on tip it could be that the white didn't cure properly. Try curing double time.

Make sure that you're not putting the white on too thick,otherwise it may not cure properly, especially if it is a real white white.

If you did a french white on tip it could be that the white didn't cure properly. Try curing double time.

UV can only get through SO much product. UV can only penetrate the top laye of ANYTHING, thats why you can't get a tan through glass, or if you are under water all day long, no matter how bright the sun is shining, you won't get a tan while you are in it, or burn.

As long as the white wasn't OVER-applied, the cure should be fine, but when it cures, it shrinks, thus the need to cap the free-edge.

So YES, you should rim the edge on every layer to ensure shrinkage does not keep the free-edge clear of the gel.

But also - as said in above posts, make sure the white isnt too thick, to keep from curing thoroughly.

:)

Thank you for your reply, this has been suggested to me before. do you need to cap the free edge with all 3 layers of gel (if doing a french for instance) or just the sealer layer?

I tend to run my brush along with each layer i do, therefore it is well and truly capped. It really is such a thin layer each time that you wouldn't really know it was there. If it is an NNO then make sure your client also oils the free edge too to keep it supple and stop it from curling.

Latest posts

Back