Bad peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimid

Reaction score
What to do with someone who has bad peeling nails- i have tried ibx which has helped a little but i assume i will have to do more treatment but she doesn't seem that keen- shellac not lasting long at all

Any tips greatly appreciated
Maria :)

I have 2 clients like this. Both took different approaches. One comes every month (as that's all she can afford) and gets ibx with Shellac. One chose ibx with a polish finish and comes every week. It's been 8 months of them using it regularly now, and their nails are normal. No more chips or peels and they've gotten to the point where they only need it once a month as a top up. They love it and have recommended friends and family to me.

If you believe this is what your client needs you need to really sell it. Like with any treatment, make sure she understands 1 or 2 treatments to fix an ongoing problem is unrealistic. Maybe if she comes regularly you can offer her a package deal of a course of treatments, and really make sure she's on top of her aftercare. I had a problem with one of them until I offered the package deal of 4 treatments which included a free pinkie bottle of Dadi Oil which I emphasized how important it was that she use it regularly for optimum results.It made her look after her own nails more carefully which made her Shellac last 10 whole days on average without chipping which was a big improvement from her former 4 days. And she saw results which was the important thing.

I have 2 clients like this. Both took different approaches. One comes every month (as that's all she can afford) and gets ibx with Shellac. One chose ibx with a polish finish and comes every week. It's been 8 months of them using it regularly now, and their nails are normal. No more chips or peels and they've gotten to the point where they only need it once a month as a top up. They love it and have recommended friends and family to me.

If you believe this is what your client needs you need to really sell it. Like with any treatment, make sure she understands 1 or 2 treatments to fix an ongoing problem is unrealistic. Maybe if she comes regularly you can offer her a package deal of a course of treatments, and really make sure she's on top of her aftercare. I had a problem with one of them until I offered the package deal of 4 treatments which included a free pinkie bottle of Dadi Oil which I emphasized how important it was that she use it regularly for optimum results.It made her look after her own nails more carefully which made her Shellac last 10 whole days on average without chipping which was a big improvement from her former 4 days. And she saw results which was the important thing.

Great thanks so much for reply- yes im just going to have to really try and get her do more and look into a package.....😊

I use IBX but have seen a product called Flexiglaze recently which looks quite interesting.

I saw how flexiglaze is applied. It's just a resin that sits on top of the nail. It reminds of those lightless gel kits the girls from my middle school used to buy. It's different that ibx, so my only worry about it is how long will it last on those nails where everything lifts and chips from it.

Whilst Flexiglaze is a coating it is not just a resin or a lightless gel.
There is no other product that has our unique characteristic flexible formula which is exclusive to Flexiglaze and very very different to a normal resin or lightless gel which are brittle if used alone, so allow very little natural nail movement.
Flexiglaze is for clients who require instant results in the form of a flexible thin looking coating for flaking peeling nails and there are many of those.
Whilst Flexiglaze is an excellent new product to the industry, no product is super human and always depends on other factors too as we know,
lifestyle medication, nail condition etc
We also now have Flexigloss one coat UV LED gel polish.
Not an off the shelf formula just re labelled.
Not just a one step gel polish, no top base etc, but one coat too due to the high quality and high amount of pigment levels we have had added, as it is manufactured exclusively for us, goes on in one coat with a diamond shine.
All in one semi permanent brow and lash products next year too. Great for salon retail
Exciting times for the Flexiglaze brand.

I use IBX and have done since it came out, its amazing. I use it for a variety of clients with differing problems and it seems to have sorted the majority of them out. It is a bit trial and error until you've got the right treatment plan for each client but then its full steam ahead.

I use it on persistent vertical splits, has fixed them in about 5 out of 6 cases but this is the slowest one to see improvement on. Peeling & flaking nails, thin & flexible nails and clients who are so heavy handed or just don't get the full 2 weeks out of their Shellac.

I wouldn't be without it.

Karaxxx

I have never used IBX before but I use Brisa Lite smoothing gel under Shellac for flaky nails. Can you please tell me how they compare? Are they similar? Do you need a LED lamp or can I use the CND UV lamp? I have a client who had weak, flaky nails that could not grow. I've been treating her with Brisa lite then Shellac for a year and her nails are stronger now and grow long. However, within the past few months her shellac chips after a few days on a couple of nails and they are flaking again. There was a period for 4 months where I wasn't doing her nails as I was off work with a fractured ankle, so she was going to random salons and her nails do not look as healthy. There are a few white spots on the nails and they break often. I wonder if I should try IBX but need to learn more about it and I'm interested in hearing how you use it.

thank you
Cindy

If the nails are weak, soft or prone to breaking I use Smoothing Gel, if they are prone to peeling I use IBX.

I have never used IBX before but I use Brisa Lite smoothing gel under Shellac for flaky nails. Can you please tell me how they compare? Are they similar? Do you need a LED lamp or can I use the CND UV lamp? I have a client who had weak, flaky nails that could not grow. I've been treating her with Brisa lite then Shellac for a year and her nails are stronger now and grow long. However, within the past few months her shellac chips after a few days on a couple of nails and they are flaking again. There was a period for 4 months where I wasn't doing her nails as I was off work with a fractured ankle, so she was going to random salons and her nails do not look as healthy. There are a few white spots on the nails and they break often. I wonder if I should try IBX but need to learn more about it and I'm interested in hearing how you use it.

thank you
Cindy

I started using IBX because brisa lite was not something my clientele were interested in. They didn't want to pay extra for an undercoating for extra protection because they felt this should already come from the product as it does with gel polish, which is the same price. They were more after paying for something what would fix the problem rather than mask it temporarily.

The two are very different products. The Brisa lite smoothing gel is for overlay. The IBX system penetrates the top layer of the nail so you wont see it at all after you finish treatment and wipe off the residue, but you can feel a slight difference after just one treatment. Think of concealer and acne cream. The concealer sits on top of a zit and you can see a difference immediately, but the zit is still under there. The acne cream needs multiple applications and the change isn't immediate, but the zit eventually goes. That's not to say you can't do both ibx, then smoothing gel if someone needed the extra protection.

You don't need an LED lamp but you do need a heat source. Louella Belle has a heat lamp or if you have a Minx lamp, that works as well. I don't really like the idea of holding a hair dryer over a client's hands... seems a bit unprofessional. I have a Gelish lamp and a CND lamp, and I was curing it with my CND lamp up until I got the Gelish lamp.

Thank you for your explanations. It sounds like something worth trying so I will look into it. I don't have a heat lamp but I do have the heated mitts, wonder if that will work lol. I would probably have to buy the heat lamp if I plan to use IBX but at least I can use my UV lamp.

thanks

Thank you for your explanations. It sounds like something worth trying so I will look into it. I don't have a heat lamp but I do have the heated mitts, wonder if that will work lol. I would probably have to buy the heat lamp if I plan to use IBX but at least I can use my UV lamp.

thanks

lol, no heated mitts will not work. You need a heat source on the uncured product for a couple minutes before curing. Have you seen the video showing how to use it? the heating times have changed slightly since, but that should give you a good idea how it's used.

I've been looking at their information online and it looks like IBX repair is used for the really damaged nails to mend tears and delamination. Does this mean you only use IBX repair on the damaged nail and use only the IBX on all the other nails? Or do you use both (complete system) on all 10 nails even if 1 nail is damaged? When you are finished applying the IBX system, do you just use scrub fresh then apply your Shellac base coat as usual or do you cleanse nails in another manner before? I'm sorry for all the questions, but it looks really promising so I'm planning to introduce this soon

I've been looking at their information online and it looks like IBX repair is used for the really damaged nails to mend tears and delamination. Does this mean you only use IBX repair on the damaged nail and use only the IBX on all the other nails? Or do you use both (complete system) on all 10 nails even if 1 nail is damaged? When you are finished applying the IBX system, do you just use scrub fresh then apply your Shellac base coat as usual or do you cleanse nails in another manner before? I'm sorry for all the questions, but it looks really promising so I'm planning to introduce this soon

There's a massive long thread on here about IBX but to save you that I'll try to answer you with what I do;

1. IBX can be used on damaged, delaminating & dehydrated nails.
2. If you use it under Shellac/gel polish then you have to use the repair and IBX together. If you use it as a stand alone or under a normal polish then you can use just the IBX if its just strength the client is looking for. If they have any problems then you'd use both products.
3. You can just use it on the damaged nails, you don't have to do on all 10 if the client doesn't need it.
4. When you've finished the IBX treatment you cleanse with scrub fresh and then start you're normal procedure whether that's polish or Shellac/gel polish as if from scratch ie; apply base coat.

HTH

Karaxxx

Thank you Kara for the clarification. I did do a search on IBX on salon geek and it said no results. I have been looking at the information on their US website and from the explanations here it appears to be worth trying so I will be looking into introducing this soon.

thanks for your help
Cindy

Thank you Kara for the clarification. I did do a search on IBX on salon geek and it said no results. I have been looking at the information on their US website and from the explanations here it appears to be worth trying so I will be looking into introducing this soon.

thanks for your help
Cindy
Hiya, I think you have to type in 'IBX Repair and Strengthen' as the search bar does not work well with just three letters. HTH x

Flexiglaze is for techs who wish to offer a unique new flexible coating to their clients which is easy to apply, and offer clients choices with something different to what is currently available.
Also it is another service for a business to add to their list, alongside what they currently offer on their treatment menu.
Flexiglaze is a brand that will be offering innovative new products to the industry ongoing, such as their Flexigloss gel polish which goes on in one coat due to the high pigment levels. Great for express manicures as well.
Also, in 2015 there will be
Flexiglaze Lash
Flexiglaze Brow
2 new semi permanent unique coatings that thicken lengthen and define, and last up to 14 days rather than 1-3 days like many lash and brow products, that salons can retail.
Flexiglaze are also currently working on another world first
A gel polish remover which contains no acetone whatsoever, so non drying on the skin, and great for clients who have irritations to acetone.

Got some Flexi Glaze to try out....I have applied it to my natural nails and left them bare, normally if I don't shellac my nails I break them after a few days, have been wearing it for a week now and no breakages! :cool: will now try out on some clients

Got some Flexi Glaze to try out....I have applied it to my natural nails and left them bare, normally if I don't shellac my nails I break them after a few days, have been wearing it for a week now and no breakages! :cool: will now try out on some clients

Can you let us know how you get on as I'm looking into this product too.

Thanks.

I've still got bare nails with flexi glaze and they still feel really strong:D the one lady that I put under her shellac wasn't successful but this lady has terrible nails, she got less wear out of her shellac than usual so wasn't good for her.

Latest posts

Back