Balayage, cling film or foil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamylocks

Reaction score
I've only ever tried cling film and hand painted. I back combed once and used foils to create a ombre but I hate getting all the back combing out when washing.

Will using foil help with the process ? I'm worried of the bkeach spreading out, if I use a balayage stroke technique?

I use foil.. Never really had an issue, when back combing I never place my comb more then halfway down the length of the hair before sliding to the roots.

That way you don't drag so much of the ends up and you don't have to worry about actually creating lines when balayging because when it's brushed out it does it by itself.. If that makes any sense 😐

Sorry to jump into this thread but im doing my first ever balayage next week and i was looking at differnt techniques etc and thinking to try the one without backcombing, so basically wher they do like the root touch up and then paint the blonde col on (hard to explain how to do balayage) just wondered if theres any tips you have for the blending? Im rly worried it wont blend also glad u mentioned bleach in ur post as wasnt sure if u could actually use bleach to do balayage as it expands but good to know you can xx

Hi there,
I only back comb when doing an Ombre in order to 'diffuse' any demarcation lines.
For Balayage, I 'free-hand' paint. No foil or film is needed if using L'Oreal's 'Platinium', as it stays where you put it!

I did see a lady touching up a ombre by root colour with it stretched out then she took sections like foils for foils weaved the hair left half out and painted the lighter on to the weaved hair half way down.

Would this create the same blend as back combing? I need to try till out as I never saw the end result I was popping in a shop and just started watching her lol. X

I use freelights. No foils or cling needed.

Hmmm. I used freelights today with 6% for a super tiny regrowth on a scalp bleach and it was lovely but have found I can not get much past a yellowish 8 with freehand. 6% gave a lovely "bronde" whilst 9% a level 8. I've bought the 12% to try and see if I can get lightness. Viva.glam recommended being patient with freelights. You need to give it the full development time. Sometimes I'm desperate to see the result! I still find my balayage result better with Blondor but I'm persevering.

We mainly used the teased foil technique. It's a pain to brush it out, but ensures no lines. Since freelights has come out, we use that now, it's amazing. But we hardly use 6%, it doesn't do much. 12% is ideal.

Hmmm. I used freelights today with 6% for a super tiny regrowth on a scalp bleach and it was lovely but have found I can not get much past a yellowish 8 with freehand. 6% gave a lovely "bronde" whilst 9% a level 8. I've bought the 12% to try and see if I can get lightness. Viva.glam recommended being patient with freelights. You need to give it the full development time. Sometimes I'm desperate to see the result! I still find my balayage result better with Blondor but I'm persevering.

I agree. Patience. 40vol and full development time. Tends to come out lush but not mega light if you get me.

Latest posts

Back