Balayage toning help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellymarie_85

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a client coming to me next week wanting a balayage. She already has coloured hair but slightly greying roots (natural and coloured hair is around a base 6-7). My plan is to use Koleston 6/7 on the roots, balayage with Blondor, rinse all off, then tone with 8/7 through the middle to a 9/7 at the ends, so it's a nice, warm, gradual colour.

My question is... I know I can use Pastel developer with 9/7 to tone, but can I use it with 8/7? Or would I be better off using 6%? Otherwise, would I be better off mixing up the same/similar shades with Colour Touch to tone (I don't think the exact shades exist, but I can mix up something that comes close)? What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance :)

Colour touch will give more shine and be less harsh so I'd go with that and 1.9%.

Might I suggest you use something slightly cooler just as warm on raw bleached hair may not end well. 8/71 and 9/97 or 9/36 perhaps?

That's great, thank you for your help :) I'll go for something a little cooler on the ends in that case. Will using Colour Touch affect the staying power? I can't imagine it would as Pastel is also 1.9% and works fine.

Excuse my ignorance, but why might a warm tone not end well? I qualified over 16 years ago, and we didn't have half the techniques and products then as we do now - I also never worked in a trendy salon! I've had some colour theory training as a refresher lately, but I'm kind of learning all over again (I was out of a salon for nearly 15 years).

Thank you again for your help.

It'll probably fade less than a permanent would as the hair will be more porous after bleaching. So no it wont affect the staying power.

Well, its just that you'll be exposing a lot of warmth when lifting, even more so with a balayage as it'll never lift as clean as if you had it in foils for example (due to the product saturation). So if you put a warm colour over that raw undertone it'll just be even warmer. Rather than having an 8/7 you'll have an 8/37 as the yellow hasnt been neutralised or at least subued. I hope that makes sense!

Ah, that's brilliant - thank you so much for your help!

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I did actually think about it after my last post and thought that it's basically a double warm tone - I think I'm having a bit of a baby brain day! But having you explain it too really helps and confirms that I'm pretty much on the right track.

Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your evening :)

Ah, that's brilliant - thank you so much for your help!

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I did actually think about it after my last post and thought that it's basically a double warm tone - I think I'm having a bit of a baby brain day! But having you explain it too really helps and confirms that I'm pretty much on the right track.

Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your evening :)
Glad I could help!

Same to you[emoji4]

Latest posts

Back