Base coat for soft gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Byers

Karma and love
Reaction score
Hello all! So my clients want healthy nails and sadly shellac isn't staying up to other gel polish stranded. Love shellac still but find it works better with a diffent base coat.
Anyway can any one advice a base coat that has vitimins that isn't shellac?
I've been doing the ibx on my clients before applying a shellac or halo. These are the soft gel I've been using.
Thank all
1533549021060.jpeg

Sad to hear your not getting on with Shellac, but if you use other bases the product won’t work as it’s supposed to. The Shellac system has its base created to adhere to the nail without the need to buff or sand the nail plate and to remove with the Shellac remover without the need of to much effort. So if you introduce a base that is not part of the system you can create more damage to the nail if your not removing or curing that product from what the manufacturer designed it for.

You should not be mixing systems like this. You can guarantee the result or the staying power of a service when you Frankenstein the ingredients.

I have no experience with IBX, but might it be that the Shellac is not adhering well because you have that underneath. You should talk to an educator about this, they would know better than me.

Can you explain further why you want to use a vitamin base on your Shellac clients?

I know it’s a controversial subject and it has different opinions, but the nail is a non living part of the body, it does not require air or vitamins applied to the nail plate to become healthy. What makes them healthy is a balance of oil and being taken well care of. They reflect the health of the body, but the actual nail plate is non living and if it’s damaged or unhealthy it needs to be treated with oils or a coating that will built up the layers so the nail can grow out stronger. If the nail is damaged by a nail tech or by the client there is no vitamins that can save it. It can be mended by products that repair the damage or add back on the layers missing, but it needs to grow out completely so the damage is removed. The only way vitamins will save the nail is if it’s introduced into the body itself and not on the nail plate. There are keratin strengthening products out there that will help repair nails like olaplex does for hair, but it’s not a cured on product in gel that transforms them.

There are educators and medical professionals that can explain this better than I can, but if your clients want healthy nails, there is no magic base coat that will make the grow healthy. It’s a combination of good products and your skills that will do the job.

I am no expert on this, but I see so many companies say their products breath and are infused with ingredients that will transform your nail and make it great. But it comes down to genetics, well cared for nails and surrounding skin and how you treat your body.

If I am wrong or someone has something to add please do. It’s a subject I am learning more on, but I am no expert.

So please stick with a nail system in its entirety and don’t introduce othe products that are not manufactured to go together. You will just create other problems along the way that might not show immediately, but they are there.

Contact CND and IBX and talk to them about what your not happy with and ask them to help figure it out instead of going at it by yourself. They are there to help you and serve you as a client.

I hope you get something out of my looooong reply [emoji23] but there is a lot of miss communication out there and we all need to be on top of our game and learn more on this. I hope someone with more knowledge jumps in to help if I am saying something wrong or has something to add [emoji4]

Last edited:
Wow thank you for such a reply [emoji173]️ I will re read this as what your saying is very helpful! And will reply properly soon.[emoji173]️Xxxx

Sad to hear your not getting on with Shellac, but if you use other bases the product won’t work as it’s supposed to. The Shellac system has its base created to adhere to the nail without the need to buff or sand the nail plate and to remove with the Shellac remover without the need of to much effort. So if you introduce a base that is not part of the system you can create more damage to the nail if your not removing or curing that product from what the manufacturer designed it for.

You should not be mixing systems like this. You can guarantee the result or the staying power of a service when you Frankenstein the ingredients.

I have no experience with IBX, but might it be that the Shellac is not adhering well because you have that underneath. You should talk to an educator about this, they would know better than me.

Can you explain further why you want to use a vitamin base on your Shellac clients?

I know it’s a controversial subject and it has different opinions, but the nail is a non living part of the body, it does not require air or vitamins applied to the nail plate to become healthy. What makes them healthy is a balance of oil and being taken well care of. They reflect the health of the body, but the actual nail plate is non living and if it’s damaged or unhealthy it needs to be treated with oils or a coating that will built up the layers so the nail can grow out stronger. If the nail is damaged by a nail tech or by the client there is no vitamins that can save it. It can be mended by products that repair the damage or add back on the layers missing, but it needs to grow out completely so the damage is removed. The only way vitamins will save the nail is if it’s introduced into the body itself and not on the nail plate. There are keratin strengthening products out there that will help repair nails like olaplex does for hair, but it’s not a cured on product in gel that transforms them.

There are educators and medical professionals that can explain this better than I can, but if your clients want healthy nails, there is no magic base coat that will make the grow healthy. It’s a combination of good products and your skills that will do the job.

I am no expert on this, but I see so many companies say their products breath and are infused with ingredients that will transform your nail and make it great. But it comes down to genetics, well cared for nails and surrounding skin and how you treat your body.

If I am wrong or someone has something to add please do. It’s a subject I am learning more on, but I am no expert.

So please stick with a nail system in its entirety and don’t introduce othe products that are not manufactured to go together. You will just create other problems along the way that might not show immediately, but they are there.

Contact CND and IBX and talk to them about what your not happy with and ask them to help figure it out instead of going at it by yourself. They are there to help you and serve you as a client.

I hope you get something out of my looooong reply [emoji23] but there is a lot of miss communication out there and we all need to be on top of our game and learn more on this. I hope someone with more knowledge jumps in to help if I am saying something wrong or has something to add [emoji4]

Fab post!

I use ibx under shellac all the time and it’s fine as long as you get all the ibx off after you’ve carried out that treatment. As thenailbusiness said the mixing of systems is not advised at all

IBX is absolutely fine to use under Shellac. The product is cured into the nail so as long as you use your scrubfresh as normal before base coat, you should have no problems.
If clients are losing their shellac gel polish in less than 2 weeks, (and they are following home care advice) this could be because the client has weak bendy nails.
Try using a layer of Lecente Smooth It between the base coat and colour coat to improve strength and therefore longevity.

Latest posts

Back