Beauty | Avon Expands In India and Continues To Support Women Worldwide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
After getting my rant on the other day regarding Hannah Betts' article in The Guardian, the irony that this article will inspire is not lost on me. On Friday, the beauty industry was a soulless, manipulative mean-machine taking the blame for misery on a global scale. This morning, I'm happy to report, I have news to prove that the beauty industry, actually, is anything but.

It's very easy to think only of Avon as that thing that your mum and her mates used to talk about in the 70s and 80s. We all have, in our minds, that stereotype of the Avon lady calling (think Dianne Wiest in Edward Scissorhands) and this can detract from the real 'beauty' behind Avon.

Rather than undermining, controlling and victimising weak and vulnerable women, Avon is a beauty company all about empowering women, especially those that are weak and vulnerable so in India, and around the world, they are doing just that.

Currently, Avon sells around 1,500 products in India through direct selling agents. They are hoping to add 327 products to their range across various categories including colours, jewellery, skin care and more. Yes, this is a good thing business wise for agents, but even more importantly, they have 100,000 direct selling agents, women, who are earning money, gaining independence and freedom and supporting themselves and their families in a way that previously wasn't possible.

The Avon Foundation For Women has been established to further this work. In Saudi Arabia, a country where women are not even allowed to drive, Avon is working hard to establish a selling network that allows women more independence than they've ever been able to get before. In October 2010 Avon organised the first women's only walk in Saudi Arabia as part of the first Avon Walk Around The World in aid of breast cancer.

We may think Avon is all about housewives sat at home trying on lipsticks and gossiping but Avon is about much, much more than this. It's great news that it's expanding in India; it's even better news for the women that rely on Avon for their independence, freedom and livelihood.

For more infomation about the Avon Foundation For Women, visit Avon Foundation for Women: Working to End Breast Cancer and Domestic Violence

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• avon-logo.jpg
    avon-logo.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 27,585
If only Avon could support & empower Animals worldwide and stop testing on them .

Latest posts

Back