TPTW Fake beauty products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this geeg - I normally would happily buy fakes, I have fake ghd's! Because I never knew the money made was funding terrorism and crime, and the working conditions etc of the people who produce them. I'll never buy another fake again so thankyou :)

Thanks for posting this geeg - I normally would happily buy fakes, I have fake ghd's! Because I never knew the money made was funding terrorism and crime, and the working conditions etc of the people who produce them. I'll never buy another fake again so thankyou :)

Thanks so much for posting. I never knew either. Had no idea. Ive never been into buying fake, I'm just like Tammie on that one, but we have been affected by it business-wise I expect though to what extent it is impossible to determine really. If this has made just one person like you decide not to perpetuate it then that makes me really really happy. xx

Love this thread.

Today I removed gel nails on a girl. As it was someone from the same town that had applyed the gel i asked what product she used. The client said Brisa gel as it came out of the same silver pot as I use.
I have removed all sorts of diffrent gel as I used to work in Spain, and did a lot of nail treatments on turists, so Im pretty savy when it comes to smell feel hardness softness plus more when filling into enhandsments.
IT WAS NOT BRISA, can not believe it.
She must have put a fake gel into the Brisa pot.
I am now wondering if she infact is trained in Brisa nails, I know she Trained to do L and P with CND, but couldnt get a grip with it, and then swopped to do gel.

When people cheat with their product, they dont get good results. Clients then dont go back because they are not happy.
Think this so called nail tech will soon be out of buisness:lick:

This is such a great thread. It's about educating others and getting people thinking.
It costs our industry millions on lost sales. It costs the goverment and the tax payer. It effects companies being able to put money back into new design and development. It cheapens brands and products. Where there is counterfeiting there is often drugs or illegal activity.

There is absolutely nothing postive about counterfeiting, anyone that buys fakes are exposing themselves to unnecessary health and safety risks. This is factual information from an expert. He says that the base of fake perfume is often horse urine, fake makeup brushes often contain lice (this actually shocked me). Electrical products have sub-standard insullation that can often electrocute, overheat and catch fire, yet people are willing to take the risk to save a few pound.

People that buy fakes are effectively helping fund organised crime. Although it may seem a bargain at the time, it effects the economy, the tax payer and costs jobs. Ultimately it's costing the consumer in the long run.

Im sorry but LICE!!! That's enough to give me nightmares! x

I doubt fake goods will ever cease. Unfortunately people will always buy fake and they are either too stupid or really don't care that they are fakes. I stopped using eBay ages ago. It's the trust you have to have in people and unfortunately you can't trust! I tried some Swarovski crystals for nails advertised as Swarovski. When I got them they were so obviously plastic. In fact I could chew them!! I argued with the seller and she argued back. No win situation! Save for the real thing if you can't afford! Walking around with a gorgeous bag you have worked hard for is so much more gratifying than a nasty cheap fake!

People selling fakes is just absurd! I recently relocated from Sydney to the South Coast and went to check out a new Beauty Wholesale store that was closer to my new home. I use OPI laquer and i wanted to buy a few more closer and they had one of each colour on display and give you a checklist so you can mark off which colours you would like to order. They then put your order together in the warehouse out the back and box it all up for you for safe travelling. After spending over 200 dollars on nail laquer ( i thoroughly checked their display and sample polishes to ensure they were real as i had never shopped with them before) i opened my boxes up once home. The polishes were all FAKE! The smell was so strong as soon as you opened the bottle it smelt like a tin of wood varnish i can't imagine what would happen if you used it on a client!! i immediately went back to the store where i argued for my money back they wouldnt admit they were fake even though i brought a real OPI polish with me to show them the difference i ended up leaving the laquers they sold me there and walked out without the money i had spent. I feel disgusting now that i know who that money has most probably gone too!

People selling fakes is just absurd! I recently relocated from Sydney to the South Coast and went to check out a new Beauty Wholesale store that was closer to my new home. I use OPI laquer and i wanted to buy a few more closer and they had one of each colour on display and give you a checklist so you can mark off which colours you would like to order. They then put your order together in the warehouse out the back and box it all up for you for safe travelling. After spending over 200 dollars on nail laquer ( i thoroughly checked their display and sample polishes to ensure they were real as i had never shopped with them before) i opened my boxes up once home. The polishes were all FAKE! The smell was so strong as soon as you opened the bottle it smelt like a tin of wood varnish i can't imagine what would happen if you used it on a client!! i immediately went back to the store where i argued for my money back they wouldnt admit they were fake even though i brought a real OPI polish with me to show them the difference i ended up leaving the laquers they sold me there and walked out without the money i had spent. I feel disgusting now that i know who that money has most probably gone too!

That is outrageous and illegal ... They are bound by the law to return your money.

I will definitely be returning there for a few words. I need to learn to not back down so easily! Thanks for informing me!

There is such a thing as consumer protection and under the law, if you are not satisfied with a purchase then you are entitled to get your money back .. particularly in this case where you were sold a fake product and were led to believe that it was genuine. I would expose them to the local press.

wow I just posted something about fake Shellac and then just saw this post probably explains everything!!

If you realised the cruelty that went into producing fake Ugg boots you would cry :sad:

Raccoon dogs are skinned alive for their fur, the fur is then harvested to produce the fakes!

i think in a world where people are so label driven no one ever really stops to think where the fakes their buying really come from, as long as they have the same bag as their fav celeb. its scary. the thought of fake beauty products scares the life out of me. why would you want to use god knows what on your face just because the label says, mac, chanel etc?

I don't see how that's off-topic, considering YOU brought up CCO Shellac, Gigi.

I am very sorry for asking about another fake product to keep myself up to date. How terrible of me.

argh!!!! i didnt mean to heart this! lol silly me.

Interesting read and I will certainly be passing this info onto my friend who buys everything fake !

I never buy anything fake. Do people seriously just buy it for the label ? To look like they can afford it ? Clothes I can get my head around but make up ? Why on earth do people want fake make up ?!

My boyfriend brought me some pink ghds a few years ago. He said they came from a friend who owed him money but said instead of the £40 he could have some ghds worth £100 :eek: I was immediately suspicious and apart from a 'feeling' I couldn't find anything wrong with the product. I compared them to the ones I already had and they seemed identical.
It was only when I got on the internet I discovered that the cable had 3 rings around it instead of 2 or something like that.
His sister asked for them as I refused to use them and they stopped working in less than 6 weeks.

My dad says, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is, and its fake!
Its just not worth taking the risk.

You only have to check websites like Alibaba or DHGate to realise that most of the stuff sold on there is a knockoff.

I should say that I totally agree with the theme of this thread... however, to give another perspective.. here's a tale that might explain why people do it.

For my birthday someone gave me a fake Mulberry handbag. I wouldn't have bought it myself, but it was bought for me, and I have to say, it's a really lovely bag (even though I know it's fake).

After having the bag for a few weeks, I got curious - I started wondering how amazingly fantastic the real deal must be in comparison with my fake - because if the fake is good, then the real deal must be MARVELLOUS - especially as the real bags sell for £700 - £900!!

On my day off I therefore decided to take a trip to Bicester village where the Official Mulberry outlet is. I thought I might treat myself to a heavily discounted "real" bag, as I was so pleased with the "fake". That way, I'd have a really nice bag but know it was real Mulberry. So off I toddled.

I walked into that shop prepared to be stunned about the amazing Mulberry quality that everyone raves about... I was ready to be stunned into submission about how crap my "fake" really was in comparison to the real thing. So I had a good browse, really inspected the bags, the clasps, the lining etc.....And I have to be honest and say that I really could not tell a damn bit of difference between them... and I looked HARD. And what's more, these bags in the "Outlet" shop were only reduced from £750 to £500 - what a bargain!

Now, I know that not all fakes are "good" fakes, and clearly my bag is a very good fake. Equally, I would never knowingly purchase fake medicines, or beauty products, or anything like that, because you don't know what's in them. BUT I honestly CAN see why people would buy something like my fake handbag... Particularly when the real deal is so extortionately priced. Perhaps if the retailers charged a more realistic sum to start with then the urge to knock out and buy fakes would be less. I mean, what on earth is the profit margin on a £900 handbag anyway?! I think this kind of obscene greed doesn't help. (Incidentally, the Mulberry bags were a snip compared to the bag displayed in the window of the Jimmy Choo boutique - a snip at £1105, reduced from £1400!)

There was a programme on TV a few days ago about fake goods being sold in Britain. This varied from stalls at markets to your shop around the corner. Fake Adidas, Oral B tooth heads, air freshners, perfumes, cigarettes. You name it, it was on this programme. The one that literally
scared me was the fake alcohol. Smirnoff, Glens, the well known brands that everyone buys. Tbh these looked genuine and let's face it you would never think you were being sold fake vodka by your local store.

When these were tested they had very high levels of chloroform. Some had other ingredients and it wasn't the same in every bottle but it just goes to show they're selling fake goods everywhere

scared

Latest posts

Back