Beauty level 2 interview nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayleyRedhead

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I recently went for a interview at my local college for my level 2 beauty as in June i would have completed my level 2 hair VRQ. I want to do my nvq beauty as I do not think i shall get far with just the vrq to my name.

When I applied it stated the course was an nvq and on all the forms it was advertised as nvq. When I went for my interview they said it was a vrq, which i felt cheated about. I decided to question the vrq and tell the interviewer my experience with the vrq and my view upon it was not a happy one. That salons and employers have a poor view upon it and why advertise the nvq when you're offering something completely different. I spoke in a mature manner and did not offend anyone, I just wanted answers. The woman said the vrq is equal to the nvq but easier to achieve. I said if it easier to achieve than it is not equal and i rather work that little bit harder to achieve the better qualification. The other girls on the interview overheard us and I believe they looked confused and worried.

The woman took me to the canteen and began to give me a lecture about how the vrq is better for colleges. I repeated what i had said and also stated i wanted to gain extra qualifications such nail extensions and intimate waxing in which you need the NVQ.

The woman than changed the subject and her tone changed to that of spite she spoke about the past courses I did at the college years ago. In which she stated my attendance was poor and wanted to know why. I stated I had a mental breakdown due to a terrible childhood experience and was a carer for my bipolar mother at the time. Considering I had 8 good GSCE to my name and I did work at home, was up to date with my work and gave it in early. I felt so ashamed having to explain to this woman in the midst of a busy college canteen about such a painful experience. She actually never needed to ask me such questions as it is in my file right on the table, I tried turning the interview back to the vrq but she wouldnt let me get a word in edge ways. Stating i wasn't fit for the course and i need to be 100% committed. I tried to explain I was mentally better and ended leaving the interview feeling embarrassed as people were watching us.

I don't like having my mental illness used against me just because I stated what was wrong with the college and the vrq. Can anyone give me some advice? My mum is outraged and told me to with draw my application saying she was discriminating. I am sure many people with mental health issues can work in the hair and beauty industry and do just as well? Can anyone also explain why have college gone and replaced all the nvq with vrqs!:evil:

Hi, hope you get the answers your looking for from other geeks. It sounds as if you were totally mis understood at your interview. You sound like a very enthusiastic young lady and I wish you all the best. What I will say is, if you really want to attend this college then make another appointment to speak to someone and explain your concerns (as you I'm sure the nvq is more widely recognised if you were to go for a job) ask around at your local beauty salons what qualifications they look for in employees) also I think it's fab to have hair and beauty under your belt but find your passion and stick with it x there's so many branches to the tree!!! Don't be a jack of all trades, be the best at something, you sound so positive (I jumped from fitness to make up to nails) but now, at 33 wish I had put all my enthusiasm into one field. Like I said ask at salons, or phone them. Go with your heart, sorry to hear about your problems:hug:prove the doubters wrong and be the best!! Good luck Hun, let us know what happens :lol: x

Latest posts

Back