Beauty | New $1000 Face Cream Is Out Of This World

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Skincare companies are constantly trying to outdo each other with the latest miracle cream and it seems that, unless the magic ingredient is made by short genetically modified, red-headed, leprechauns living in utopia, it's simply not good enough.

Now, two-year-old London-based brand, 111 Skin, has hooked up with scientists who used to work in the Soviet space program (really!) After seeing the company's founder, Dr. Alexandrides, on TV discussing wound healing, they reached out to him and asked him to trial some of their products.

Put simply, space is really bad for your skin. "There’s no gravity, no atmosphere to protect you from cosmic radiation, so the skin ages really quickly. [Space] is a lab for skin aging, basically," Dr. Alexandrides explains.

Between them, they came up with a topical "repair serum" which his patients loved. "I would give them a small pot for free that would last a few weeks, but they would ask for a little more, saying that it made their skin look really smooth." After this, it occurred to him that the product could work not just for wound healing but for ageing as well.

"The process of healing is very similar to the process of renewing the skin. In order to heal, it needs to create collagen and create new vessels and connective tissues. This is the idea behind our line."

So what's the magic ingredient? NAC Y2, which is made up of acetyl cysteine, a potent vitamin C derivative, and Escin. The first two increase the amount of glutathione, an antioxidant that protects and repairs skin, and Escin helps to increase circulation and deliver ingredients to skin cells.

The $1,095 Celestial Black Diamond Cream is the new launch, which includes the face cream, an eye cream, and a serum, contains black diamonds which, incidentally, come from space. The black diamond is found in Brazil and central Africa but the theory is that it formed as a result of a meteorite hitting the earth billions of years ago.

Does it work? I have no idea. They hardly send me them out for free and at that price tag I'm not paying for it but people will...it's cheaper than a facelift after all.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• space.jpg
    space.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 76
I worked at a concession that sold the 111 Skin range, we used to sell quite a few of their £190 NAC Y2 Repair Serums, but personally I wasn't a massive fan of it, the whole range just feels a bit too 'gimmicky' x

Latest posts

Back